1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Memory of Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AltF4er, Dec 27, 2012.

1. AltF4er

AltF4er Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    I was wondering if a rooster remembers the flock it has been with before...I got a rooster about 2 months ago and he has been awesome and no trouble but where I got him from there were 3 OTHER roosters and they all lived okay I guess. Two of them were bantams such as mine and the other was a big rooster and there was never any problems. So the other day, I was passing by where I got him and talking to the people there and they said that they wouldn't mind selling another rooster. Now I understand each rooster needs a good amount of hens and I got that covered but I am more worried about the fights. I imagine there might be a little fight just to see who's "alpha roo" but was wondering if the rooster would recognize him. Plus, they are some GOOD looking roosters but I wouldn't mind refusing the offer....well I would just a little [​IMG]. Btw, I should mention that it is a mixed breed, I made a thread here wondering the breed and I believe it might be OEG and another because he has feathered legs, wondering if that makes a difference.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You rooster now regards the flock as 'his'. If you introduce another rooster, they will fight. As to the outcome?

3. AltF4er

AltF4er Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    So I guess it would be worth a try, right? They free range so they have plenty of room. If it gets too rough, then I have an extra rooster and got no idea what to do haha xD is there any way to reduce aggression when I introduce them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by