Men and their obsession with chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by L&Schickens, Dec 28, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Two weeks ago I went to a poultry show with a bunch of my chickens including some Welsummer Pullets and a young roo. My chickens were doing al right in their classes, but when it came to the Wellies I notices a crowed of men gathering during the judging. There was several other Wellies there besides mine, so I could not tell what birds all the fuss was over. I did not want to hang over the judge while he was working either. [​IMG]
    When the judging was over my friend Jim cam and found me. He told me my Welsummers did very well, but didn't quite know how well. Then another man show up and another and another!! They all wanted my name and phone number. No, it was not for a date with me, but for my hens. They want MY Welsummer eggs!! It was a let down for them when I told them they were not laying yet.
    By the end of the show, my hens were on Champion row and had won champion Continental and Champion large fowl. Nothing the sneeze at to be sure. I was ecstatic to say the least. [​IMG]
    So this morning I get a phone call from my friend Jim and he said he had some Kentucky Specks eggs for me to pick up. I told him I would be there in a while as I was going to have breakfast with my 90 year old grand mother. I also asked him how his chicken houses were as two of mine collapses. He said his were fine. I was glad to hear that.
    So we made it out to the feed store where Jim works and got my eggs and some feed. Then he tells me that Sam (One of the men at the show) had been there asking Jim about my hens after he called me. Sam waited at the feed store for two hours for me so he could talk chickens!! [​IMG] He was also worried about the hens and hoped none of them were killed in the collapse. I told Jim they were fine and to let Sam know that when I got some eggs I would let him know.
    Crazy man. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Very cool! Congratulations!

I could talk chickens all day- just ask anyone I know. [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well Shellie, obviously, you've got some great birds. Congrats!

We were at a wedding dinner yesterday and my wife got a little upset when I started talking chicken. Two of the other men at the table each had children who have chickens in their back yard and said it's all the rage. My wife just looked dumbfounded and said no more.

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

:lol:and I just bet they all say that...those chickens in the backyard are the kids'

They aren't the only ones after your birds, Shellie, women and children want 'em, too! I remember just the other day someone wanting those Nordic birds of yours...and myself after the RIR and BR banties, too! So much, I'm willing to share w/xDH's wife:lol:

5. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    ^^I know I know!!
    (Your BRIRs laid an egg today BTW [​IMG] )
    My husband was not even slightly jealous of these men following me around every where I went at the show. I was kind of hoping he would at least show up so they might back off a little, but no. He just sat in a chair and waited for me to fight them off my self. [​IMG]

6. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

YAHOO!!! Go GIrls:) Time to grow up lil roo...StrawMAN [​IMG]

You might get his attention if you join the bikers in the Toys for Tots Ride, my x and our sons are Harley men... LOL [​IMG]

7. COUNTRYMAN

COUNTRYMAN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    did i hear chicken talk in here? [​IMG] congrats on the wins!!

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That is awsome congratulations. well done.

Omran.

9. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Congratulations! That's an inspiring story.

10. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Ha Ha. Doubt it. I might move up from "Chicken men" to "Harley men" though. Wait, it that a move up? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by