Men and Their Trucks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Sep 28, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I just have to ask...why must men be so difficult about their trucks?

DBF has decided that we need a truck. These are my specs:

Must be able to tow a horse and trailer.
    A/C, Automatic transmission, V8 (or V6...doesn't really matter to me.)
    Looks good, none of that stupid "BOX" thing that Ford thinks looks so neat lately.

DBF's specs:
    4x4
    Extended Cab
    V8 or higher
    Automatic
    Less than 50,000 miles
    8 foot bed (do you KNOW how hard it is to find a new truck with an 8 foot bed?!)
    No Ford's older than 2007
    No Chevy's newer than 2005
    No DODGE. EVER.

I love Dodge's. I don't know why...they're pretty! They make me thing "Wow. It LOOKS like it has power!" After a Dodge, I'd like a Chevy, but it seems as though each Chevy I suggest he says "Too old..."I was used, he wants barely used or brand-spankin' new.

Just freakin' frustrating.

So please...tell me what is wrong with Dodge! I have no idea what I am missing that is apparently so awful about Dodge...

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

When DH was looking for a new truck I told him NO DODGES either, or he would be paying the bills on it by himself.

We got a Ford Explorer [​IMG]

My mom had a Dodge Carvan when I was growing up and it really was a POS. Super under-powered, just poorly designed.
    My Mother in Law has a 2000 Dodge Ram that spent all of last summer parked due to a tranny problem they couldn't afford. That's what REALLY turned me off on Dodge trucks. What good is a paid off truck that won't come out of first gear??? [​IMG] After they fixed the tranny, it mysteriously wouldn't start so it was broke down for several more months having something to do with the fuel pressure system. On the other hand, *when* it works it does drive quite nicely and the V8 in it accelerates much better than the Explorer with the V6, but like I said, what good is a truck that drives nice SOME of the time????

3. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    The only part of this conversation/argument I'll touch (and boy, get ready for a Ford/Dodge/Chevrolet free for all, lol) is that I agree with you that barely used is the way to go. Still get the warranty and someone else already paid for the immediate loss of value that happened as soon as they drove it off the lot. Call around and ask if anyone gets fleet trucks back, they are usually great deals and kept in great shape, often times serviced by the dealership for the time of the company's lease.

OK, one more thing I'll throw out there. [​IMG] If you can find an 8 foot bed, it would be a bonus. That extra length comes in handy, especially when hauling things to do with home renovation.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  4. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    We had a 98 Dodge. They tend to have tranny problems. Ours blew up. [​IMG] It was a pretty truck though. Turned on a dime. It was a v10 though, so whether were were pulling something or not, we spent a lot of money on gas. We have a 91 Chevy now and love it.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Im with him on most of his specs. I dont agree with them all but I know why they are all there.

Its all about staying away from weak parts. An I dont see the point of buying a truck that aint got a 8 foot bed ether. If I was going to pay a payment on one it would be a 4X4 too.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've had all the big 4x4 trucks over the years; Ford, Chevy, Dodge. I'll never own a Dodge again. I prefer the Chevy but the Ford is a close second.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Well hubbs and I both have small trucks, Ranger and Explorer, so on the rare occasion that we need to haul something extra large we do borrow MIL's full sized Dodge. Trick is that she gets to deal with fixing it all the time [​IMG]
    Once I got 16ft cattle panels while MIL's truck was broke down, but I got my boss to haul them for me in his dually flatbed. Being in the south and fairly countryfied, there's usually somebody who you can get to help you if you only rarely need to haul something large.

I think that extended cab trucks with short beds look awful funky. My friend has a 2000 Dodge with a short bed, and my extended cab Ranger is as long as his fullsize truck. [​IMG]

8. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Don't ask me I have only Dodge sitting here. An 85 1-ton with 300,000 miles on it that is the work-horse of the group. At 200,000 I did put a 300hp DC engine in it, up from the 185 that came stock and no it's a gasser and still gets very good mileage.

There is an 85 1/2 ton complete with GN ball in the bed to pull the 18 foot GN stock trailer.

A 90 Dakota with 200,000 miles on it that is the wife's daily driver and then I have various others in different stages of completion.

Unless you really need it, like rancher or pumper in the patch, 4x4 is not really needed and an added maintence expense plus the mileage is usually much lower then a 2wd truck.

The newer Dodges have been plagued with both electrical and tranny problems, especially on the diesels. From what my customers have told me the new P-Stroke Superduty Fords are only getting from 7-9 mpg.

But no matter what brand of truck you have, if it is a standard shift with a New Proccess or New Venture tranny it is running with a Chrysler power train. LOL

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv4500.htm

9. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    yep what rebelcowboysnb said. no use in having a shorter than 8ft bed on a truck that big.

i wouldnt buy a dodge either. my Ford Explorer saved both our lives. and we are all Ford all the time.

if its his truck, why are you managing it? no man would get a truck "because its pretty."

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    It's not just HIS truck. We'll both be having to use it (and pay for it) and I don't want to have to deal with the manual transmission or not getting something because it's "metal flake" or it's "two-tone". I like those colors, but they're not a necessity. I'm just drawn to them. He says it's genetic....take from that what you will.

I hate the box look...it looks like a cardboard box with a plastic grill rolling down the highway. I want something that's metal and that's gonna stand up to hitting lightpoles...which will invariably happen somewhere along the way.

Forgot a very specific thing...no diesel. He wants gasoline in that puppy. He said, if it's necessary, he will get a 6.5' bed, but nothing shorter than that. We've got quite awhile but it's still frustrating when you drive an hour away to find out that the dealer didn't tell you the whole truth, or he takes one look at it the paint job on a truck and says "Nope." Then drives off without even looking at the truck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by