Mental Health?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seminolewind, Oct 22, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My daughter calls today, and during the conversation she tells me she's worried about my mental health related to getting into chickens. I have 4, I will add, but not many. Anyway, I asked DH if he was worried about me and he said if I was happy, then he's not worried. I told him I was getting some hatching eggs, and he wasn't happy about that, but he said he knows to let me do my thing.
    Now , I always obsess over whatever I am interested in, some hobbies I've kept, some I've given up. My DH knows I've always been obsessive.
    I guess I just feel I need someone to tell me that I am not crazy for wanting chickens, and may end up with 10 in all. My daughter now has me worried that I'm not normal, and don't realize it.

2. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

CHICKENS

THEY ARE MY THERAPY!!!!

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    nothing wrong with having them as long as they are taken care of.i have over 50 chickens.and yes im chicken obsessed.but it keeps me from going crazy

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We all have the chicken addiction disease. Welcome to the coop. [​IMG]

5. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    What I would call it is not obsessive but passionate. I am very passionate about what ever adventure I am on including my chickens. I am starting a hobby farm because it is a dream of mine. It will be small but I am very passionate about it. I think if you are going to do something you should give it your all. If you can't be passionate about it why bother doing it especially when the life of an animal of any kind is concerned. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for doing it. That's fine. It's my life and my dream not there's I've let them influence me for too long. I have wanted to have chickens for about 9 yrs. and never did because of what others said. Thursday I become a chicken mom and I can't wait. In the spring my goats come and I am thrilled. I don't think I have ever been happier. SO do what floats your boat.

WHAT TILL THEY FIND OUT ABOUT MY DUCKS lol Those will also be my spring addition.[​IMG]

6. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    So many people live their life so concerned about what others think. (I admit, if its your offspring, that would hurt, ouch!)
    I have always been a tad different, was called "weird" when I was a kid, etc. I am in the city, we are allowed chickens, but as I dont have a back yard, errr...I mean the backyard I have is not chicken conducive, I have them in the front. Now if THAT is not crazy, tell me what is? I had called animal control to ask, and they laughed and told me "well, if YOU dont mind chickens in the front yard, then its not a prob, doesnt matter where you have them"
    I have surely entertained the neighborhood, and the medicine delivery guy, who I never seen smile in his life, laughs out loud every time he comes now, loves my girls! [​IMG]
    Actually I never in the world would have thought they would bring me such joy and entertainment, I merely bought them to have "fresh eggs" but they have become the thing I center on when life gets me down. Before that, all I could do was worry bout different things, and I was literally making myself ill with it. They really ARE my therapy. [​IMG]
    So, like others have said, it is your life, and your wants, others don't have to understand it, I am certain you dont always understand some of things that entertain them. We are all different, just enjoy the beauty of our differences, give that silly secret smile, and do your own thing.
    Hugs
    Jill

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:You can say that again.
    How many hobbies do you get to sit completely still, relax, and
    have birds climb all over you. It's almost meditation.

8. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I think its a daugther thing.. My daugther tells me Im chicken obsessed and that Im crazy.. I told her that I think shes just jealous...
    [​IMG] <---- thats what she looked like when I said it..

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  9. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    LOL thndrdancer.. my coop is in my front yard too. It's cute so why not. People always slow down to figure out what it is then they smile. Wait till there are fat little hens clucking around in it. LOL

10. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    crazy?now thats just silly, I talked it over with the chickens this evening and they say there is nothing wrong with you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by