mental stimulation for chicks????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by verity, Oct 20, 2008.

1. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Someone gave me two just-hatched chicks about 10 days ago -- the weaker one died but the one that is left seems to be thriving --- it is perky and growing rapidly --

'Brooder' is cardboard box with light, thermometer, feed, water, feather-duster, and some small branches for perches.

I've raised orphaned kittens and puppies and always make sure they have mental and physical stimulation (things to see and do that are age-appropriate)

But, a CHICKEN???? How much 'mental stimulation' does this chick need???

Suggestions????

Thank you --

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Handling it as much as possible will give you a pet that will be as loving as any dog or cat.

When you are not there a mirror can help it to not be so lonely.

Matt

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Put a small stuffed animal in there for cuddle 'company'.

4. dsyd

dsyd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    I put half a feather duster in with mine.

5. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    First of all get him some more buddies asap. For now I think holding him and talking to him a lot is best. I purr at mine like a mama chicken and they purr back [​IMG] Chickens are very social, they NEED companions.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  6. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Thank you for the suggestions ---

This baby is destined to be an 'only chick' until the Chicken House is finished -- we are working on it every day --

Then I will be able to get some pullets, I hope!

I had not intended to do the 'brooder thing' but this chick needed a safe spot so it's here --

It has a feather duster and a stuffed animal that it perches on and putting in a mirror was a great idea -- :)

It has not been peeping in distress but rather, kind of 'singing' to itself in a chirpy way --

Getting lots of feathers now and getting heavier and taller -- a busy little thing -- we handle and talk to it often as it is in the laundry room where I spend a great deal of time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by