Mercks are older chickens immune from it when they get to a certain

karlamaria

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Western montana
When they get to a certain age are they safe? I'm not sure my chicks got vaccinated when I got them at quality supply in March. There so healthy, and active, but now I worry since I see others are dealing with this disease. If I ever get more chicks ,do I ask them to vaccinate before I take them? What about private owners, how do I know there safe and do they vaccinate? is it best to get eggs from people and hatch my self to be safe? Thank you for your help , I so appreciate it

When I spoke with Dr Waters of the Illinois Department of Agriculture discussing the addition of new birds to my established flock, he told me to vaccinate for everything again. That included Mereks.
We vaccinate for Mereks, Fowl Pox, Infectious Bronchitis and NewCastle.
Whenever 1 needs a vacciantion, they all get the same vaccination ( booster) each and every time. If he reccomends vaccinating my adults, then by extrapolation, it cannot hurt to vaccinate whenever you get around to it. Of course sooner is better.
Denise
Paradise Found

Karla, I would vaccinate any new chick you get. This is kind of hard if you get your chicks from some private owners. The best ways would be to hatch your own chicks and vaccinate them day 1 and keep them quarantined for 2 weeks. Or get them from a hatchery already vaccinated, and quarantine them for 2 weeks.

I'm not sure mine were ever vaccinated. I got them from quality supply. I'm hoping to get 4 more girls next spring so I will be sure to get them vaccinated. I worry bout my older girls, I better call quality supply to see if this is done before they sell there's. Thanks everyone

My Mareks vaccine came in today as I have chicks hatching this weekend. I have been hearing way too many horror stories about the absolute devastation people are having with mareks this year and I'm not taking any chances whatsoever. Also bought a full medical box filled with chicken meds and such to be preparred for things...I will split the vaccine with a friend since the meds are good for 1000 doses and two years before expiration. There's no way I could even try to hatch that many at once to use it all! I will be vaccinating all birds on property young and old because most have not been vaccinated and I dont want to accidently carry it down to my older ones from handling the chicks in my house. All birds can get it:(

Last edited:
Then there's like me who hatched all my eggs here, except...1. Lost 5 young chickens in 18 months, not knowing why. Bought hatching eggs, hatched 10 chicks, now I have 4 left -from Marek's. Chicks coming in need to be vaccinated. Eggs hatched by you need to be vaccinated. You will never know if your older chickens are carriers, unless you had hatched all your eggs, and never bought one. I bought one and that's all it took. I never knew my flock had it till now.

Quote:
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom