Mercy cull or...? Necrotic leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QueenPeppermint, Feb 9, 2013.

1. QueenPeppermint

QueenPeppermint Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Two weeks ago my brothers dog and the neighbors dog ganged up on a chicken that flew out of the pasture. I caught them and she seemed fine albeit a few missing feathers and a her being a bit shaken. She flew off and joined the rest of the chickens. Day by day I noticed she started developing a limp but couldn't catch her. By the time I caught her she didn't really want to use one of her legs and did a half hop half flying thing to get around.

Her leg up next to the joint and breast was necrotic with a small hole wound. I cleaned her off the best I could and all that came off was just barely yellow (almost clear) pus. She has been in the house with me since. She has since started putting some weight on the leg but still doesn't like to if she can help it and she's clucking a little again. Her comb color has returned to a darker hue as well but... I do not think the wound will heal completely because the necrosis. It's likely she will caught by the dogs again if the one has his way with digging under the fence or be pecked to death by the flock if I eventually reintroduce her because of her lameness.

There are no avian vets near me. :(

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chickens have amazing recuperative powers from wounds. If at all possible, I would keep the wound open and draining. She may very well have a broken leg that is in the process of healing; hence, she has a lingering limp. Only time will tell if she will heal completely. I'd be worried about the dogs and the probability of them decimating your flock.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. QueenPeppermint

Mar 10, 2012
    The neighbors dog has been tied up ever since which makes me feel awful (he's such a sweety and only goes after our chickens (not theirs) because of my brothers dog. Pack mentality I guess) and my brothers dog is watched strictly now. He's sent immediately to his house or put on a chain if he even goes near the pasture now. We're about to start intense training with him for command like drop it and leave it.

5. QueenPeppermint

Mar 10, 2012
    Hmm how do I know if it's broken? She will put weight on it and grip with it.

I don't have penicillin, do they sell it at Tractor Supply stores..?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  7. aafairchild

aafairchild Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Tractor supply has some penicillin. Also local feed store may have a better selection. If you are near Austin, Callahans will have what you need.

Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by