Merek's and other vaccinations

wvgal61

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Troutman, nc
Is it safe to mix vaccinated chickens with unvaccinated chickens? I have heard that it is not, that the unvaccinated chickens could catch Merak's disease.

I have learned that the Mareks vaccine is actually the turkey version of Mareks, so technically they can't get Mareks from the vaccine. However if they are exposed to Mareks, they can become carriers and then should not be mixed with unvaccinated chicks, Mareks is very complicated and I know there is alot of controversy and confusion surrounding the vaccine. I personally lost an 8 week old chick that had been vaccinated for it.

Last edited:
I have learned that the Mareks vaccine is actually the turkey version of Mareks, so technically they can't get Mareks from the vaccine. However if they are exposed to Mareks, they can become carriers and then should not be mixed with unvaccinated chicks, Mareks is very complicated and I know there is alot of controversy and confusion surrounding the vaccine. I personally lost an 8 week old chick that had been vaccinated for it.

OK so it sounds like my first, unvaccinated (very healthy) batch of chicks will be fine when they are (eventually) mixed with my second, vaccinated batch of chicks (they are a month apart in age)...

OK so  it sounds like my first, unvaccinated (very healthy) batch of chicks will be fine when they are (eventually) mixed with my second, vaccinated batch of chicks (they are a month apart in age)...

To me it sounds like. UN vaccinated chicks
could be at some risk of
Catching meraks from Vaccinatedchick.
IF a chick thats vaccinated againt mareks
can infact still be a carrier of mareks,
AND you put a vaccinated chick who is
Carrying Mareks in with birds who are
NOT vaccinated against marks, THEN,
The UNVaccinated chick could 'catch"
Mareks from the vaccinated one.

A chicken that is vaccinated with the Marek's vaccine CANNOT shed the Marek's that infects chickens. It is the turkey form of Marek's and it is impossible to catch the chicken form from it.

The only way that a vaccinated chick can become a carrier of Marek's is if that chick is exposed to a chicken that has Marek's or, is a carrier of Marek's. If your flock doesn't have a problem with Marek's, it is very safe to mix vaccinated and unvaccinated chicks. The vaccine will not prevent the chick from getting Marek's, or becoming a carrier, it only prevents the formation of the tumors that are associated with the disease.

Last edited:
I looked into vaccinating chicks when I imported a whole bunch from Ideal this spring. I ended up not vaccinating because the vaccine only protects against one strain. There are many different strains of Mareks, its literally everywhere. Even if they have the vaccine, they have just as much chance of picking it up outside from somewhere else then a bird who is not vaccinated. I prefere to let them develop a natural immunity to it by culling the ones who are affected by the disease and keeping the survivors.

As long as you know that your birds that are survivors are now carriers and cannot be sold, given away, etc. Plus, all the birds you bring in will be at risk for developing Marek's. After the losses I have sustained, there will never be another unvaccinated bird on this property. It's just not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom