Merek's Disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TIA73, Dec 15, 2011.

1. TIA73

TIA73 New Egg

Feb 23, 2010
    I am new to chicken raising and am looking for some advise on Merek's Disease.
    We have always bought hatchery chicks with vaccinations already done. This last year I let the kids hatch and raise a few birds and also brought in a few birds given to the kids by one of their 4-H leaders. I just lost 2 birds to Merek's Disease this week. The ones from the 4-H leader.

I am guessing my non vaccinated home hatch birds will more than likely fall subject to this disease as well. Is there anything I can do to help prevent this?
    My second question is this, We are going to set up a hatching and brooding room in our new barn. I raise my birds "natural" and on organic feed. I am going to vaccinate for Merek's when we hatch chicks so I don't have to put the kid's through this again. So, will this effect my "natural/organic status? I hear mixed opinions... And does anyone have a link to somewhere that I can buy the vaccine to administer ourselves?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Birds develop a natural immunity to Marek's somewhere around 5-6 months of age. So your un-vaccinated chicks will possibly be just fine. And not *all chicks exposed to Marek's come down with the disease. You're right in that your only option at this point is to vaccinate any and all new chicks. And if at all possible keep them way away from other chickens until they're over 6 months old.

4. lilys chickens

lilys chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    I got my 10 week old chicks and a farm that raises only chickens for family chicken coops. He does not vaccinate them for Mereks. They are now 8 months old and one just died yesterday. Should I have it checked for Mereks. What exactly is Mereks? and if you chicken has it what are its symptoms?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by