Mereks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moodlymoo, Oct 18, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Do you who hatch vaccinate for this? I want to try and hatch a little after I figure out how to build or come up with the funds to buy a bator. All my chicks I have purchased have been vaccinated so I wonder if it is crucial to do this?

2. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I have my pot of herpes sitting in the fridge waiting for my last batch to hatch lol. Whether it's 'crucial' or not depends on the prevalence in your area. However, considering how cheap it is, I think it's worth doing for peace of mind.

3. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I just started hatching this year and decided to vaccinate. The first time you do it it is unnerving - probably moreso for us than the chicks! It gives me peace of mind. Mareks is a horrible disease and to prevent my chickens from the painful death I choose to vaccinate. (I had the vaccines shipped. The vaccine itself is VERY affordable, the shipping is not, as it must be refridgerated. You may want to see if you can buy locally. Note - the smallest size is 1,000 doses, and once mixed the vaccine only remains good for about 1 hr)

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I don't vaccinate for anything, I've never used medicated feed, and I've never had a sick chick yet. My chicks and growers mix freely (naturally brooded chicks from 7 days old and artificially brooded growers from 8-20 weeks old) with vaccinated birds I got from a local hatchery and it's never caused any problems.

Time-Out is probably right in saying the importance of vaccinating will depend on the prevalence of various diseases in your area...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by