Merging chickens From 2 different 'FLocks'

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happybooker1, Jan 18, 2013.

1. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I currently have 15 mixed Bantams that were born Oct. 21, 2012. I also have 4 Seramas that were born Nov. 29.

The Bantams have been out in the coop & yard-ranging since right before Christmas. This week we are having sunny weather so this is what I did with the Seramas to try to get the 'flocks' to co-mingle successfully.

I let the Bantams out in the AM as usual. I put the Seramas into the coop and shut the pop door. At 5:45p, when the Bantams normally go to 'bed', I went out and opened the pop door and they all trouped inside with the Seramas and went to bed. Repeat today -- same schedule. I didn't allow the Seramas to come out in the morning into the yard. So they've been in the coop now 2 full days and with the Bantams at night and early in the morning. I haven't noticed any pecking, bullying, etc. except the Seramas have tended to stay on the very top roost bar when I've peeked into the window at night.

Do you think I need to do this another day or two (keep the Seramas locked in the coop during the day?) or should they be OK now to leave the pop door open and let them come out if they wish?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They are living animals so it’s hard to say with absolute certainty what will happen, but I think you would be OK to let then roam now.

I regularly raise incubator chicks and integrate them with my adult flock. My method is a little different than yours though. I keep the chicks in a grow-out coop after they come out of the brooder until they are 8 weeks old, housed next to the flock but separated from them by a fence. At 8 weeks I let them roam together but go back to their separate coops at night. Around 12 weeks I move them into the adult coop after dark. I hardly ever have a problem of them going back to their old coop at night. They seem ready to move into the big coop with the adults.

The main difference is that mine are fully integrated and well used to each other by the time I move them into the main coop. There are still some pecking order issues but those are not all that bad. I think you would be OK but I can’t give you any guarantees.

3. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I left the door open today. Sometime in the afternoon the Seramas were out. They never mingled with the Bantams but no one was chasing anyone either. The 4 Seramas kinda stayed to themselves. I went out and threw everyone some stale bread and raisins & put out more scratch. Then I had to leave for awhile.

When I got back after dark, the Bantams were all in the coop. The Seramas no where to be seen. I looked for a good 20 minutes around the coop, down the fence line, in the brush heaps, etc. No Seramas. No sound of them. No movement. Giving up and hoping wherever they'd 'hid' themselves they'd come out in the morning, I started to shut the coop windows. Hearing a VERY slight movement/noise, I looked up. Those silly Seramas were ON TOP OF the coop, which is a good 7' or 8' off the ground!! I guess they thought they were plenty safe up there--LOL!!

I got the stepladder and luckily they were right near the edge, all together. They're now back in the coop with the others. Sigh. The joy of chickens.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm glad you found them. Sounds like they may need a few more days inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by