Merging my hens together!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dasmiths0323, Jul 13, 2011.

1. dasmiths0323

dasmiths0323 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    I have 6,11 week old hens and 3, 6 week old Hens, now that it is time to put the youngins out in the coop with the older ones they keep pulling the youngins feathers out. I need some advice on how to get them to all get along bc I need them out of my house. They are starting to smell! we have put them out there every couple of days and placed an enclosed kennel inside the run to get them use to them and neither has worked!
    Please I need some advice, we are new at this!
    Thanks Jenn

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    One method that has worked for me is moving everybody to a new area and then putting all back together. I set up a 2 temporary pens and when they got used to this I put all back in the big run together. This disturb the pecking order and everyone was in new territory.

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    My DH put my chicks that were hatched April 12 in with my year old flock because of a raccoon attack. I was laid up getting over foot surgery. Scared me to death! My SIL was here helping and I sent her out to make places for the chicks to hide.

Pieces of tin leaned up in several places throughout the coop really helped! They can get in behind the tin and get away from the hens. Even now, after a month, they still get in behind the tin when they want to feel secure. My SIL said they are moving up the roosts at night and squirming their way in. Just four or five sleeping in the corner now.

I was fortunate however in my rooster. He placed himself between the hens and the little ones from the start. I have been quite proud of him! If the biddies started picking on the littles he would run over and get between the littles and the biddies. When they threw treats he would start calling the littles to eat. He would step out in front of the hens and back them off. All and all it was a good transition. It had to happen because we had to get them out of the pen that ended up not being secure.

They were in a corner coop where they had been seen for quite a while. There is going to be some pecking order stuff and it is probably more painful to us than to them. Give them hidey holes! Even a tote that a hole has been cut out, or several holes that the babies can fit into but the hens cannot. The tin or a piece of plywood leaned up against the fence. Oh, and extra feeders and waterers.

Then don't let it distress you.....let them work it out. It is not easy....but they will.

4. dasmiths0323

dasmiths0323 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Wow bburn... that was very helpful, looks like we have a great start for this weekend then! I appreciate all the advice! I will have to let you know how it pans out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by