Merging young flocks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Coreyboy18, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    How long do you keep your chicks separated when combining flocks? [​IMG]

I recently (four weeks ago) bought some one week old Dominiques, two pullets and a roo (the roo was supposed to be a girl). Today, I bought some two week old Barred Rocks, two of them. I have them separated at the moment but the brooders are in the same room. I swear my Dominiques are chirping to the Barred Rocks, which in turn is making the Rocks chirp ever so loudly. I feel like they want to "meet" each other, sounds silly. How long should I wait before introducing them, or how long have y'all waited? I'm sure not everyone goes by the book, so what is it? Thanks in advance!

2. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    would like to have this answered I have new ones at my house also.

3. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, me too! [​IMG]

::bump::

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I don't keep young chicks separately like that. When I got some, then got some more, I put the new ones right into the brooder with the first ones. And then I did it again with newer, new ones. I've mixed chicks as much as 3.5 weeks' difference in ages. They do just fine. Anything more than 4 weeks would be iffy, just because the newest chicks would be so much more smaller and fragile (if a chick stampede occurred in the brooder) than the oldest chicks. They do grow quickly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by