mericks vaccine

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PNWChicky, Feb 12, 2014.

1. PNWChicky

PNWChicky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013
    Kingston, WA
    Does anyone know where to buy the mercies vaccine? And if you can get it in small quantities? Like for 10 chicks vs. 1000?

Thanks

Katie

2. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    You can't get it in smaller quantities. The best you can do is to take the little disc out of the vial and cut it into quarters or even eighths, and just mix SOME of it at a time. But everyone in the U.S. sells it in the large amounts of 1,000 doses.

And the best/cheapest place I have seen to get it is jefferslivestock.com.

3. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    The Marek's vaccine only comes in 1,000 dose vials. I know some people that split the wafer into 4 sections to save money, but I would never take a chance doing this, as it needs to be kept sterile, and I would be concerned that the vaccine may not be evenly distributed in the wafer- but I get a little paranoid when in comes to my animals health. I get my vaccines from Twin City Poultry Supply- you can purchase a 3 pack and save some $, or what I do is have 1 or 2 big hatches, so that I can vaccinate all of them at once. Twin City Poultry Supply also does not make you purchase a cooler ( at an extra cost) like some companies will. You will still have to pay for the fastest method of shipping, so that the vaccine stays cool en route. I make 1 big order every fall, so that I can plan for the next spring's vaccinations. They also list expiration dates of vaccines on their website- which is great! Well worth spending the $20 to ensure that your chicks have the best start in life....

4. Chickie Momma

Chickie Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Carrollton, Georgia
    Once the vial is reconstituted how long is it good for?

5. TheChickInn

Feb 29, 2012
    Unfortunately, after the vaccine is reconstituted, it is only good for about 2 hours, since it is a freeze dried live virus.

6. Chickie Momma

Chickie Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Carrollton, Georgia
    Thank you! And that stinks... :(

7. TheChickInn

Feb 29, 2012
    Your welcome....and yes, it does stink! It's a great $20 life insurance policy for your feathered friends though :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by