Meriks or vitamin b definceny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peoples, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Peoples

Peoples Chirping

Mar 4, 2017
    Rural Northern Nevada
    Hello. I am one year into backyard chickens. I added 2 to my flock 2 months ago and integrated into my flock with not to much bullying or pecking order beyond the nirm. My smallest one 2 days ago was found in corner being best up by the two senior girls the other day by my spouse and initially we thought leg injury and stress. We separated her and initially walking in her knees per se instead of normal walking and using a wing for balance. We took her to a vet who did x-ray no broken bones. Vet (not bird vet) thought either stress or viral and I'm would tell. Yesterday slent most day with little to no movement and occasion of panting.we are keeping her in dog crate in house bathroom. Today I took her out for yard time. She seemed to perk up (eating grass, back to Simi standing to sit rather soon and walking on her knees to get to grass, no panting with movement and tail back up. Her normal chicken yard is devoid of grass as they killed it off last year. We keep them in side yard to prevent dogs getting em. They gets normal feed and treats of greens, fruit, meal works or dried shrimp and recent crickets. We clean coop weekly as well as rake the yard for poop every week and wash off the area with concrete pad. They have dirt, shade of an apply tree and secure location from preditors. My question as I read grass can give supplement for vitamin b definceny and overall better health for chickens. She is eating, feather follices are normal, no pupil issues, eating and still sweet as can be. Only symtom I see in the weakened legs and not walking normal. Is this a defixedef of vitamin b or meriks? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

EggWalrus, casportpony and KikisGirls like this.
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    How old is she?
    What is "normal" feed?
    Got pictures of her?
    How's her poop?

You could treat her for Riboflavin deficiency, won't hurt.

EggWalrus, casportpony and KikisGirls like this.
  3. Peoples

Peoples Chirping

Mar 4, 2017
    Rural Northern Nevada
    She just started laying about 6 weeks.ago. she is currently on a mix of layer pellets and feather fixer mix due to some molting and bear vottoem older girl.ill upload a pic of her and poop

casportpony likes this.
  4. aflacmy3rdson

aflacmy3rdson Songster

Feb 2, 2017
    Las vegas
    5A88417D-3F08-41CA-A36C-C90DFA0FE282.jpeg Her poop is infested with parasites which I’m treating here’s a picture of her food plus tomato’s Romain lettuce spinich dried worms antibiots Aflac is a boy and he’s 2 and a half here’s the report from vet he has a hole in his trachea as well as I just found blood in stool which one pice was like a clot

Attached Files:

5. Peoples

Peoples Chirping

Mar 4, 2017
    Rural Northern Nevada
    20180912_223335.jpg

Attached Files:

EggWalrus and casportpony like this.
  6. Peoples

Peoples Chirping

Mar 4, 2017
    Rural Northern Nevada
    20180912_223650.jpg

casportpony likes this.
  7. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Yikes, was not aware you were referring to a duck :rolleyes: I'm not sure about ducks, I raise chickens. Think from what I've read the niacin is important for their health. Let's tag some that may know ....

:bow @WVduckchick @casportpony @BantyChooks
    Thank you all in advance for any help here :hugs
    EDITED: Just figured out the duck is @aflacmy3rdson not the OP

The OP is @Peoples - Pretty girl you got, I would start her on Nutri Drench, treat for a Riboflavin deficiency for a few days & see how she responds. I've also used the baby vitamin PolyVisol without the iron (1 drop 3x day), I would stop the treats for now....I learned too much treat diminishes the nutritional & vitamin contents of their feed.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  8. Peoples

Peoples Chirping

Mar 4, 2017
    Rural Northern Nevada
    I uploaded some pics of her and poop

casportpony likes this.
  9. Peoples

Peoples Chirping

Mar 4, 2017
    Rural Northern Nevada
    20180912_224203.jpg