merlin???

Judy P-E

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 20, 2012
I live in northern virginia and a Merlin killed my RR hen yesterday in the coop. I saw it and chased it away. I think it will be back, we are planning to make a much smaller opening in the hen house which might alleviate this situation.I am almost possitive it was not a coopers hawk, they have a redish breast and this did not, a very small hawk with a long black and white tail, ending with white. It was about 6pm, latish and I could not see all its coloring. possible?

Last edited:
Perhaps a juvenile Cooper's? I believe a merlin is a stubbier bird with a shorter tail. Fortify - the bugger will return.

yes, we were thinking maybe a juvenil coopers hawk or a female. they are in today until we can remmidy the situation. maybe fishing lines over the pen. Thanks

Since a full grown Merlin is barely over 1/2 a pound, probably not what took on a full size hen.

What will work is to cover your run. Any opening that your hens can walk through is big enough for almost any kind of predator to get in with your birds, so reducing the size of the coop door isn't really going to do much to protect your birds.

A very lightweight cover will keep out hawks, owls, and crows, but it will not stop raccoons.

WEll day three and the hawk has been hanging out in the yard right beside the coop. the chickens have been kept inside these last few days. yes, a coopers hawk. not sure what we should do now, any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom