Merriam and Rio Grande

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ShagMan, Mar 6, 2017.

1. ShagMan

ShagMan New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    I was really wanting to order some wild breeds this year. I'm having a heck of a time finding a hatchery with them. Anyone know of any still available.
  2. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    Very few hatcheries sell these breeds and usually require permits to own. One of the hatcheries is:

*Note- Wild breeds are significantly harder to raise and are more prone to diseases. I recommend that if you would like to raise these breeds, keep them a good distance away from domesticated breeds of chickens, quail, pheasants, or guineas.
  3. R2elk

R2elk Chicken Obsessed

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Eastern Wild turkeys are carried by many hatcheries. Right now the hatcheries that do carry them are "out of stock" because it is still too early for them to have any yet. Stock will most likely be available starting in late April.

Almost all states require a permit to have wild turkeys and that the permit be obtained prior to getting turkeys. Contact your local G&F or DNR to learn of the requirements and the steps needed to fulfill those requirements. Because of the required permits these departments know who legally have the wild turkeys and can put you in touch with the people that will be having poults available for sale. Most of these agencies prefer that the birds be obtained within the state to lessen the chances of importing diseases that could spread to the wild flocks.

They also normally require the permittees to maintain escape proof "pens" to prevent the turkeys from coming in contact with the wild flocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by