merry Christmas...a budgie and a betta!?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MiniatureCochin, Dec 22, 2011.

1. MiniatureCochin

MiniatureCochin Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    wow....so...my dad & siblings just got home an hour ago with a green budgie and a betta fish. Great early Christmas present....NOT.
    I mean, they meant well and all, and I don't mind having a pretty fish (I've had one before), but a budgie? Sure, he's pretty, and he's small, but dang it, he kept screeching and trying to bite me. And they didn't even think about where they were gonna keep him [​IMG]

eh, I guess I really shouldn't be surprised---I bought a Betta and an Anole one Christmas...but at least I am the person who is ''in charge'' of the pets---and I had a pretty good Idea about what I was doing...oh well...[​IMG]

Anyway, I think I'm gonna call the bird ''Grinch''. [​IMG]

Maybe I'll be able to get pics sometime....

Merry Christmas,

MC

2. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    What size tank do you have the little fella in? with a heater and filtration i hope [​IMG] they're tropical and like 5gallons minimum. 10 gallons is even better as it is more stable once cycled. [​IMG] Just giving some friendly advice.

Careful budgie bites hurt! [​IMG] my grandma used to have a really mean one called George and he liked to bite your ears.

3. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    I remember when I had parakeets, reading that you don't force yourself on the bird, so it doesn't get scared by this huge monster-human, and bite to defend itself.
    I wish I knew where I read the way to gradually hand-tame a budgie: it was about starting with a small piece of wood, like a perch, step-by-step, then sub your finger for the wood, all over days, or even weeks. Try an internet search for "hand-taming a budgie" (or "parakeet").
    Did they at least get a cage?! Remember to cover it with a cloth so "Grinchie" knows when it is "night-night" time, and maybe he or she will chill out on the screeching.

(All of this is based on my thinking you haven't had a budgie before--if you do know what's what already, I apologize)

4. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Bet the people in cage bird section can help you. Merry Christmas

5. ZoeZoo

ZoeZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Let the budgie settle down for a week before you attempt touching him. Eventually he'll realize that you're a food source, and you can start feeding him from your hand -without touching him- once you think he's comfortable with you, you can attempt "step up". Keep it at his pace, and be sure to be gentle and not frustrated! Eventually you'll discover that you have a great little budgie friend [​IMG] check out the talkbudgies forums!

I agree with what you've said. I'm in charge of the animals, and while I LOVE getting a new critter, I like some forewarning and I DO NOT like it when people take me for granted and assume I'd love a new animal at just any time -.-

Congrats though. Fishie sounds adorable and Nicola gave you some excellent advice... I'm sure the budgie will grow on you!

6. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    how are your present pets going?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by