Merry Christmas to All and Snow in AL!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kangababy, Dec 25, 2010.

1. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Weather Permitting.. I will have picture tomorrow!!

For the first time since 1989 Alabama had snow on Christmas day.. up to 10 inches in some places.. My kids got me up around 630am to open up Santa gifts and I noticed outside the window as it was getting light outside that it was snowing..I didn't think anything about it so after the opening was done.. I went back to bed.. and then my dad calleda t 1030am to say he had been outsife since 8am knocking snow off of our net.. yeah all 125x75 foot of it. He said he took lots of pictures so I wil post tomorrow but it places you couldn't even walk because the net was that close to the ground... Luckily nets stretch!! WoW and luckily he was there.. He spent the rest of the day in the pen because it snowed until aout 1pm and we are suppossed to get more snow tonight!!

I talked to the other breeder sroung her, Mark Hall (some of you know him) and he said by 830am his pen was a wreck! Last night they said some light flurries so no one was expected what we got. His net broke and some poles were bent but luckily his birds are okay and he was able to get the net fixed but fixing the poles is going to take a while... Weather permitting, we will be helping him tomorrow. The roads are suppossed to ice over tonight and more snow might happen!

and I was worried about the tornados back a month or two ago and the snow never really crossed my mind! Well Merry Christmas to everyone and I will post pictures soon!!

Karen

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    In a sense Lucky you getting snow on christmas. Hope your pen stays in good condition. we got a light dust here but not enough to stick. funny how you have snow downthere and theres not really any up here (knock on wood)

3. kangababy

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Dad knocking the snow off.. the net is normally 10-14ft off the ground
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After he was done...
    I am off work this week so guess what I get to do at least one day... Yeah we are adding a few poles here and there to help in case thise 20 year snow happens again..
    Since this pen has been done we have had 50-60 mile an hour winds (tornados are "normal" here so we have expected that one), floods, and now 6 inches of snow......

[​IMG]

I hope every one else is okay.. Luckily my dad was home or it could have been bad!!

4. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    The one where he is in the water, is just in jeans or does he have waders on? (thats got to be cold)
    good luck with yours, hopefully we won't have are usually snow storms

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  5. kangababy

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:lol he has chest waders on.. My dada is a duck hunter so he is always prepared.. Though he is seeing things differently!

6. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    haha, well thats good. I think i get more use out of mine in the duck pond rather than the marsh. [​IMG]

7. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Looks like you and your Dad built it right. After that big blow and now the snow hopefully you will go for a while without problems,I always dread the word "hurricane" down here. I bet your Dad loves them as much as you do. It was my son that got us to start keeping ducks but now at 20 he likes huntin them more and I do most of the maintenence [​IMG] He likes to show them to people and I try to get different birds every once in a while(pheasants and ducks) to always keep his interest up. That way he still helps me clean the pens. [​IMG] Happy New Year !!!!!!!

8. kangababy

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:Happy New Year to you too!!

My dad loves them just as much as me, now if I can get my kids into them too. My dad is actually going hunting this year because Memphis is on the way and that is the only place we have found Cypress wood to build the boxes.. He is so funny about it.. I told him you know we could just drive up there and back one day! My dad my start hunting more (again) once my boys get old enough to go!

AS for different.. I am already thinking about what we can get next year.. we have a few old pens we can convert to waterfowl pens and if hte turkeys don;t do better...

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    what a nice set up,

10. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    That is a very lovely aviary. Glad it held up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by