Merry, the Christmas Chicken Update - Not Sure Where to Go from Here. . .

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cbear42, Dec 30, 2016.

1. cbear42

cbear42 Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Well, Merry, the chicken I received on Christmas Day - is still alive, and seems to be doing better each day. She is starting to fuss a little bit when I pick her up - so, I'm assuming that's an improvement over total passivity. She is eating and drinking well. And the pecking has let up from the other chickens (LOVE my water spray bottle!) - but now in the afternoons, I have her out in the pen with the rest of the animals penned off. She can see them and vice versa - but they can't attack and cause her extra grief.

The problem?

She falls over and can't get up. I found her in her indoor kennel this morning, laying on her side - but she couldn't get up without help. She stands for hours (literally) in the kennel and in the pen - but, if she goes down - she just lays there. She doesn't even seem to try and get up on her own.

Other than that - she is doing better eating and drinking. But, the inability to get her legs under her (so to speak) and raise herself means I can't even think about leaving her outside and not in her private pen. If the other chickens saw her "down" like that - I'm afraid they would just attack.

Am I rushing this? She's been here 5 days today - she's definitely stronger and putting on a little weight (from what I can tell) - but this leg weakness and general passivity on falling over is very worrisome.

Any ideas/thoughts on what to do next? (BTW, although I live in a rural, farming community - the small-animal vets here have no clue what to do with a chicken. A "farm" vet here doesn't typically concern himself with one, pet chicken.

So any thoughts - just give her more time? She seems healthy and happy - otherwise...

Thanks,

CBear42

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Give her a little more time to see if she will come around.

It is concerning that she is having trouble getting up. It's possible that she could have some type of illness that presented itself since she experienced shock/trauma/stress.

Hopefully she will gain some weight back and become healthy enough to be integrated into your flock.

Do you know how old she is?
    If she is of laying age, has she made any attempt to lay an egg?
    Any signs of swelling in the abdomen or fluid filled belly?

3. cbear42

cbear42 Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Hi -

Thanks for responding. Well, she is doing better out with the flock. They seem to be leaving her alone after several days of "seeing her around" in her pen. I am still bringing her in at night into her own kennel, however. She is about the same. I have no idea how old she is but I can ask her previous owner. She does seem to have a "draggy" right leg that is very weak. A classic "can't pull it under me"-leg. I am wondering if she has Marek's that is now manifesting itself. She doesn't seem to be swollen - that I - the complete novice - can tell. She doesn't seem uncomfortable, though.
    She generally seems much stronger....those legs are weak, though.

I have left her out with the flock all day today so far. She's only gone down once that I know about - and she just stayed there. I did have another chicken in a somewhat similar state. She was falling over (mainly forward) - but she seems better now and always seemed to be able to right herself. I nursed that girl with de-wormer, terramycin and extra protein in the form of eggs. She is still slightly wobbly -but generally 100% better.

Actually, the whole flock is looking healthier with the addition of eggs to their diet. (which seems weirdly circular....)

I am going to keep up this course. I have started with essential oils in their water and added terramycin today. We'll see how she does.

Thanks for the clues - I will keep an eye out....

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad to hear she is improving.

It's possible it could be a vitamin/nutrition deficiency. Eggs are good to give, sometimes extra protein is needed. If you have poultry vitamins (Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell) you can try those as well.

Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by