Merry Xmas from Downunder (Australia)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ethal and Co, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Ethal and Co

Ethal and Co New Egg

Dec 22, 2014
    Hi, I hope you all have a joyful xmas where ever you are this year[​IMG] I came across this site looking for anwers I couldn't find in my books. I have Ethal ( sussex ) and two hy-Line Brown (commercial strain of Isa Brown) Heckle & Jeckle. H & J are the true layers, Ethal does what she wants! WHICH IS EAT! Now my problem is this, usually H & J lay their eggs in the coop, but sometimes round the backyard for no reason I can think of. Ethal can be bossy, at present she is back to brooding in the Coop. I keep booting her out and making sure she is eating drinking, she even layed eggs these last two days! Is this why H & J moved to lay eggs? And why when I found where they layed for last 2 days have they taken to laying somewhere else? I think that's sneaky because I can't find them and my backyard isn't bigger than 500sq mts! Appreciate your help, smiles Janet[​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    G'day and welcome to BYC, Janet. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. How many nest boxes do you have in your coop? With a broody hen, you need to have at least one other nest box for H and J to use. You may have to look in some pretty obscure places to find those hidden eggs. I don't know what your backyard looks like or what you have in it, but they could be laying them in tall grass somewhere, in bushes or plants, in pots, boxes, or containers, or under or inside of any number of things. What kind of enclosure do you have around your backyard. It might even be that they are flying over the fence and laying their eggs outside of it somewhere and then returning to the yard where their feed and water is. It's surprising sometimes where members have ended up finding hidden nests. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

3. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    P.S. Merry Christmas to you as well. :eek:)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G'day and welcome to Backyard chickens. Heckle and Jeckle, that sure brought memories back. We have a large Aussie community on BYC, the more the merrier and a really neat thread "Australia, six states and one funny little island.

5. Ethal and Co

Ethal and Co New Egg

Dec 22, 2014
    Thanks 4 both your replies replies, lovely welcome. I have a standard coop fits 3 chickens easy. I placed it down the narrow side of the house with shade cloth going from high on my brick wall to across the side fence. Thus they get shade in the heat and it's out of the elements. There is also a homemade 1000lt water drum on stilks next to it. They all go under there for dirt baths! My back yard is oblong with a large unused fountain in it and a vegie patch along the side of the garage. Pretty unkempt lawn at moment, so there is long grass. I have been round backyard several times and this time Heckle & Jeckle have me beat! I have looked under, in and around! I have never caught either flying more than 2ft off the ground so don't beleive have flown the fence like Harriet (passed) used to. Harriet only did it because Ethal and Her started out in the front lawn because it was more shaded back then and we had a very hot summer 30's. She would fly over in the morning, layher egg in garden near front door and then fly back over so Ethal wasn't lonely, sweet. Ethal is to fat to fly! I did read if you place a whole black pepper under their tail, they will itch and think they need to lay an egg and then you follow them to hideout. Am thinking to try that tomorrow. Smiles Janet[​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. I haven't heard that about the black pepper under the tail before. It just goes to prove you're never too old to learn something new. Let us know if it works. Good luck in finding that hidden nest.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Happy Holidays and welcome to BYC! You have some great chicken names. Good luck finding those eggs!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

10. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by