mesh or chicken wire for coop run and protection

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jdeoliveira74, Mar 1, 2012.

1. jdeoliveira74

jdeoliveira74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    what are you guys using to enclose the outside runs to keep predators out and where are you purchasing it??

2. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    There are many materials to use. I build everything out of 2"x4" 12.5 ga. 60" galvanize fencing. If I need more protection somewhere I use 1/2" 19 ga. hardware cloth. You can find this at most hardware stores.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The outermost fence is 7 ft tall game fence, with a 3 ft band of poultry net making a skirt at the bottom to keep small things out and to discourage digging.

The night run is welded steel mesh dog kennel panels topped with livestock panel made for horses, so it has small squares. That is covered top and sides with tarp to keep the weather out.

Coop is made out of wood with a solid wood floor.

All the fencing and posts and stock panels came from Big R (ranch supply store). Some of the lumber and windows I had. The rest of it came from either Lowes or Home Depot.

4. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I think that it has been proven here time and again that the best overall product to use is 1/2" hardware cloth. To use almost anything else is just inviting touble and to use chicken wire is the predator equivalent to nothing at all.

5. omegorchards

omegorchards Chillin' With My Peeps

Electric fence wires at the top and bottom of any fence will stop almost all land predators.

6. jdeoliveira74

Feb 15, 2012
    my entire yard is fenced with 6' stockade fence the coop is wood and I plan to bury so mesh along the entire bottom of the fence to deter digging from mostly my dogs by intruders also. Thanks for the advice.
    Jon

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

I free range but have 7 dogs. The beagles kennels are right next to the barn, next to the stall that is my coop, and I have a 53lb Golden Retreiver, a 65lb German Shepherd, a 75lb Great Pyrenees/Boxer mix and a 120lb English Mastiff pup.

8. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I use 2x3" welded wire for the runs. The bottom 2' also has 1/2 " chicken wire inside the welded wire to keep small press out & small chicks in.

9. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I am not sure that I understand. Are you saying that you are going to rely on a six foot wood stockade fence to keep out predators? I do not know where you are but certainly raccoons, bobcats and most likely numerous others predators can and will scale that fence for chicken dinner.

10. jdeoliveira74

Feb 15, 2012
    The coop isgoing to have an enclosed run. I was looking to protect the outer perimiter as well my run is going to have the 1
    Inch hardware cloth
    Jon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by