mesquitos & their larvae

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ali, Aug 30, 2007.

1. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    mequitos are getting into my water bowl. and i think my chickens are ingesting the larvae. is this harmful?[​IMG]
    what else, besides changing the water daily(which is'nt helping) can i do to prevent them from getting in there? stupid question huh you can never actually rid yourself of mesquitos.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  2. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    We were wondering this too. We have just been changing the water everyday, but I wondered what would happen if they ingested them.

3. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    i hope they are'nt harmful. their kinda worm like and chickens eat worms, but mesquitos carry all kinds of things that harm all kinds of animals. so do these things get passed to the larvae? we need someone to help.

4. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  5. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    [​IMG] thanks so much. i can get these at my local feed store and just put them in my water?

6. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    I know you can get them wherever you can buy organic garden supplies. I'd have to buy them through a catalog here. Unfortunately we have no local organic suppliers. [​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As long as you change it every day, not to worry, the mosquito larvae will never develop. They'd end up dead if the chicken drank it anyways.

8. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    I get mine from the feedstore, but I know they have them at Tractor Supply Co. Do ya'll have TSC?

I can't change my birds' water daily because they drink from a trough along with the goats. So I use the biscuits and they work great!

9. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    i don't know if i have an organic store here, never looked one up i know i have a tractor supply store, it's nowhere town oklahoma. i can't change mine daily either but it sounds like i really don't need the biscuts for the chickens, but if kills the mesquitos [​IMG] yippi for me!!!!! thanks 4 all the feed back it's sure 'preciated.

10. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Lowe's home Improvement also carries them. Look in the pest repellent isle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by