Mess Free Feeder is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicksooner, Sep 24, 2012.

1. chicksooner

chicksooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I am sure this has been discussed over and over again so sorry for the repeat...

I have guineas (3 months old) and chickens in a pen together. I have not found a feeding solution that gets the food off the ground and limits waste. The guineas and the roo throw food everywhere around the feeder. I have a big feeder that probably should be hung from the ceiling but I really don't want to feed them in the coop. So I need options for in the run. Something that limits them wasting and something that will keep the food dry. Is there anything like that?

With cleaning up the food I am looking to go to a nippler system for water. Does anyone know if guineas will use it?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I hang my feeder or set it on a cement block or 2x4s until it's at the height of their backs. They have to stretch a little but it keeps most of the food off the ground. Then, once a week or so when it seems like they've spilled a lot, I don't feed them more and let them clean up around the feeder.

3. barnaclebob

barnaclebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    I just bent a piece of black corrugated drain pipe in an L shape and cut two slots a little wider than their heads. Secure the pipe to the coop with hose clamps or something equivalent. I am seeing hardly any waste after I got the location and size of the slots right. The idea is to have the chickens reach deeper into it vs a normal feeder so the food they throw around doesnt get out. Save the pieces you get from the slot cutouts as you may have to screw it back on to make one of the bottom lips taller.

There is also a feeder in the coops section that may fit your bill. Its called simple PVC hopper feeder or something like that.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. chicksooner

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the tip to go to the coop page. Finding lots of ideas. I like the PVC pipe idea as I have some of that on hand but how would I keep the rain out...

5. barnaclebob

barnaclebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    How do you keep water out of your current feeder?

6. chicksooner

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I move it inside the coop when there is rain. Thinking the pvc feeder inside the coop and just hope they slow down on the mess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by