Mess of a chick x2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CraigleMahhn, Jun 14, 2011.

1. CraigleMahhn

CraigleMahhn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Liverpool
    We have a R-com mini that we bought online it came with three cream legbar eggs so we put them in and waited 21 days nothing so we thought ahh fair doo's and put some quail eggs from our own stock first time nothing from them either. my dad went to wales and came back with 6 eggs form a farmer that said they were fertile since the incubators only small we put three in it and put the other three in the fridge to eat. then our silkie became broody so we thought hey might aswell nothing to loose and put the others under her. day 21 arrived and no sighn of life formt he incubator eggs but peeping from the silkie. 2 out of the three hatched under her and it came to today. one of the eggs in the bator exploded green horrible mess everywhere so scared of that happening we induced labour as this was the 24th day in the other two eggs where chicks, but there was something wrong when i lifted of the shell and pierced the membrane the sink that the egg was in started to fill with blood i started to panic but knew i the tweezers i was using didn't touch the chick so i carried on removing shell and peeling back the membrane to find one mess of a deformed chick with it's organs on the outside heart still beating it eventualy after about 4 seconds died from blood loss. the other egg i cracked was stuck to the membrane again witht he egg filled with blood heart still beating and so on when i peeled the membrane of the chick it had a huge hole where the membrane was.
    my question Unlucky or dodgey bator?

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Low temps can cause eggs to hatch later.. but the deformed chick would likely not have made it anyway. The egg that exploded was not fertile- so it rotted, that isn't the incubator's fault. What settings have you been using? Hopefully someone else who has experience with that model will be able to help you out.

3. CraigleMahhn

Nov 7, 2010
    Liverpool
    the automatic chicken one [​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Your rotten egg may or may not have been fertile, but definately was rotten and would have exploded under the hen also. The deformed chick would have died no matter what.

Sounds like you have some temp and/or humidity issue with the incubator - have you been able to check them with a reliable thermometer and hygrometer? Don't be too discouraged, it can take some time to figure an incubator out.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
  6. CraigleMahhn

Nov 7, 2010
    Liverpool
    I'm thinking about sending it back it's all supposed to be automatic [​IMG]

7. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    What temperature and humidty do you have your incubator set at?
    It sounds like they were behind in development from low temperatures.
    The blood sounds like you pierced their inner membranes.

8. CraigleMahhn

Nov 7, 2010
    Liverpool
    37*c and it doesn't show humidity [​IMG]

9. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Quote:37 C = 98.6 F

Isn't that too low? I could be wrong because I am pretty new at hatching chicks but I've read that the temp shouldn't go under 37.5 C = 99.5 F? [​IMG]

10. CraigleMahhn

Nov 7, 2010
    Liverpool
    I assumed it was right because i duno [​IMG] it said to just set the bird and thats all you do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by