messier with pellets than crumbles?

iPeanut1990

Chirping
5 Years
May 7, 2014
Tulsa, Oklahoma
They do eat the pellets but they dig around in the feeder with their beak. Not sure exactly what they're looking for but a lot of the pellets end up on the ground. I can't tell if they actually like the pellets or not. Should I switch them back to crumbles?

I think people just don't notice the mess with crumble - it breaks down faster (and is much smaller to start with) - dust disappears quicker than pellets.

Don't worry. They're doing what chickens do... looking for the prize at the bottom of the bowl! Fermented feed will prevent any wasted feed, and make your feed dollar go further, while providing them with better nutrition, and a healthier gut. Try it, you might like it!

I've also noticed less waste when I went to deeper throated feeders - where the chicken has to stick their whole head and neck into a tube to get food out.. they can't just flick it around.

Alright so what's the deal with fermented feed? Honestly whenever someone mentions it I sort of grown to myself and keep scrolling. But maybe I should be a little more open minded. So can someone tell me more about it please? It seems like a lot of extra work on my part to me. What's the process of fermenting it, etc?

Last edited:
iPeanut: I can tell you that fermented feed is all that, and then some!!! Yes, it takes a little bit of time, but the benefits are far above and beyond the time investment. I look at fermented feed compared to dry feed, being similar to comparing yogurt to milk. Both fermented feed and yogurt are easier to digest, help the gut to develop a healthy micro-flora, and provide nutritional benefit over the starting product. If you ferment: you will not have to feed as much, thus saving $, your chickens poops won't smell as bad, and will be a better consistency... (only a chicken owner appreciates that one!) There will be no wasted feed. They will peck the dish clean, never so much as a crumble will be spilled out of the feed dish. And, your chickens won't drink as much water... you won't have to tote as much water to the coop! It takes me MAYBE 45 seconds for me to mix up the feed that will be fed 2 days from now. (I rotate 2 containers, so there is always one ready to go.)

Back
Top Bottom