Messy backside

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by randomjacqui, Sep 7, 2014.

1. randomjacqui

randomjacqui Out Of The Brooder

Hi I have 3 of my chickens with mess on there backside what is it and what can I do to stop it pls

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    they may have worms. What color is the diarhea? The color can help determine the problem. Diarhea can also indicate a disease or illness.

3. randomjacqui

It's not really diarrhea ..... But it just gets messy

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Some chickens just have fluffier backsides then others. I have a couple that need an occasional trim with a pair of scissors to keep things tidy back there.

However, messy backsides can also be an indication of worms so if your birds have are not on a regular deworming schedule it would be a very good idea to do so.

5. randomjacqui

We now have them on worming food that they can eat all the time and I think we will bath them then trim them and see how we go .

6. randomjacqui

One of them also does this yawning thing is that bad

7. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Well they...can't really eat it all the time, I don't think. Is it Rooster Booster that you're using? If so, that's a good start. The yawning thing means that they may have Gapeworm or Capillary worms, and they are not good. You will have to start them on a deworming cycle and alternate dewormers once in a while. Please say what color the diarhea is, and what kind of dewormer you're using, how long you've been using it.

8. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Ok, so it's not diarhea, but I mean is it white? Dark brown, or what?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by