Messy butt and extreme feather loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DolceVita, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:25 AM.

Tags:
  1. DolceVita

DolceVita In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2019
    Spartanburg,SC
    So my dad checked on our birds at 3 am and saw that they were still walking around... when he walked inside he saw feathers EVERYWHERE. We thought some one died. This morning I come up to look at her and her but is messy and feathers look pathetic... she is moving like normal and eating just fine. Please help me figure out what’s wrong

Attached Files:

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's possible that several issues are going on at the same time, so it's going to be very difficult to tell you precisely what's happening. I'll list the causes of feather loss and messy butts, and it will be up to you to figure out what seems to fit your situation.

Early onset of fall molt can cause lots of feathers to be discarded. Look for areas of uniformly emerging pin feathers to confirm this.

An older hen that may be accumulating too much fat under the tail can have trouble shooting the poop out without soiling herself. I have several of these older girls that need constant butt washing. The fat also makes it appear that the butt area is balding because the fat deposit increases surface area.

If a majority of the chickens are experiencing feather loss and there are no signs of molt, look for red irritated skin around the vent area. This could indicate a mite problem. You will need to inspect your coop at night as the mites don't live on the chickens, just coming out at night to feast.

Since you report none of your chickens behaving sickly, there is probably nothing more serious going on than what I've listed.

DolceVita likes this.
  3. DolceVita

DolceVita In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2019
    Spartanburg,SC
    What do you recommend for treating mites?

4. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    First confirm mites by checking the coop roosts tonight by woping a white damp rag over the surfaces.

Permethrin liquid spray to hose down the cracks and crevices is easily obtained in garden shops and feed store. A few appications a few weeks apart will be necessary. Also you will need to treat the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: