messy butt. black sex link

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by saia2205, Mar 22, 2015.

1. saia2205

saia2205 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2014
    Powell TN
    Hello,
    I have 4 hens. 2 older ones been laying for a season ( EG and and BR) . 2 New ones, BR and sex link for 2 months. The sex link has a messier vent . Other 3 OK. They do not let me pick them up. Sex link, Etta, is the last to roost. I worry about flies this summer and larva. I feed them layer pellets and black sunflower seeds. Also put braggs and a clove of garlic in water.few times a week I give cottage cheese and Etta loves it and cooked whole wheat pasta . She goes crazy fort more than the others. Seems she craves more protein than the others. Acts fine. Also only let them free range an hour at nights. Any advise would be appreciated!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Have you tried limiting their diet to just the regular chicken food, and/or switching foods to see if that helps with her messy butt, some birds do react differently to different treats or diets (especially if she is hogging them).
    Do you know if she has been wormed recently, sometimes worms can lead to stool problems. If you think she has vent gleet or anything like that, you'll want to post in the Emergencies forum www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
    Some hens, due to vent placement or feathers, just don't seem to be able to keep themselves clean, trimming feathers is probably the easiest thing to do for them.

3. saia2205

Jun 8, 2014
    Powell TN
    Very helpful! Thank you so much. I will look there too! Is it OK to treat NY other hens too? They all eat together. Can't separate

4. saia2205

Jun 8, 2014
    Powell TN
    *my

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I have a gal that will get a messy butt because she likes to sneak into the nesting box and sleep there instead of on the roost so she poo's all over herself all night long. Make sure she's roosting and not laying down to sleep.

You might want to cut out their treats for a while and then add them back - one at a time - to see how they respond. I notice that a change of food will impact the consistency of their poo and usually dairy is the worst offender for my girls. Birds do not naturally eat dairy so their systems aren't designed to handle it. Might want to eliminate the cottage cheese and see if that helps.

You might want to investigate fermented feed as that is known to firm up their poo and reduce the odor, as well. Fermented feed also provides a protein boost. There are several threads and articles on BYC about fermenting feed that should be of help.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck with your chick! I had a chick who had pasty butt. After a few days of cleaning her vent area and making sure she was warm and had water, she was fine.

9. saia2205

Jun 8, 2014
    Powell TN

10. saia2205

Jun 8, 2014
    Powell TN
    She does roost. I will cut out cottage cheese and limit pasta. (They love pasta. I'm Italian and must of raised Italian hens! :) ) but I will limit their treats. I switched to layer.pets thinking that may help. I'm having a harder time fermenting the pellets. Not fermenting as well. Is it OK to indulge them with black sunflower seeds or can it be too much ? I just started adding DE regularly to feed. Also " rooster booster triple action multi wormer ". Have been adding Braggs to water daily. Just started a smashed garlic clove. I grow a lot of garlic!
    Also, does to much kale / Swiss chard give the runs? . My usual routine is greens, black sunflower seeds, little cat food in afternoon. ( so they eat their pellets. Not much cat food bc winter over .Let them free range an hour at night. (Used to ).. give whole wheat pasta before they retire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by