Messy chicks help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gavbarker, May 6, 2007.

1. gavbarker

gavbarker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    I have 3 chicks in one brooder im feeding them jus ton chick crumb at the moment they are nearly 2 weeks old now but they always get poo stuck around there bums i sometimes leave it till it falls off but other times i have to snip it off and dampen it etc. Does this sound like a diet problem or is this nowmal? They are all drinking fine i think so i dont think thats the problem.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Thisis normal....you MUST keep it clean or they will die from being stopped up! What you might want to do is...clean thier little bums...dry, then rum a little vaseline in thier bums..will keep it rfom sticking. This problem will go away soon. Good luck with the new babies.

3. gavbarker

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    Thanks thats good news i dont mind doing it but i was worried that it was something wrong that i was giveing them in there diet.

4. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    how exactly does one clean them? mine have some stuck too...i tried a wet paper towel without any success

5. gavbarker

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    I wet then but then i usualy have to get some small scissors and pick at it a bit but you have to be carefull not to harm the chick of scare it too much its not the best way to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by