Messy Ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aaronburton87, Jun 15, 2016.

1. aaronburton87

aaronburton87 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    My ducks get rheur food and water everyhere. I even tried hardware cloth over a dish and it didn't really work

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Yep. They're messy.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to Duck keeping! Messy is their middle names...

4. davis13

davis13 Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    Alabama
    My Mallard duckling is messy, but so are my other three children LOL!!!!!! I love it though!

5. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I find it's really easy to get around. I use shavings for bedding and use the deep litter method, strip cleaning in spring and fall. I use an automatic waterer put in a rubber feeding pan for a horse- it contains all the water. I then have a partially covered bucket for them to wash their eyes and nares in, and the rest of the mess is no problem!

6. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    Which auto waterer do you use? Do you use the shallow feed pan or the deeper one? I think I might do the same.

7. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I use a chicken automatic waterer. Not the kind that requires electricity, but holds the water above and lets it out into a little dish. 3 Gallons. I use the shallow feed pan. Also, I love those feed pans! They can be used for steps for the ducks, (ex., to step up to a bucket to wash their nares and eyes), shallow splashing pools, feed dishes (but this poses a problem with pooping in their feed), catching water, holding grit. They're easy to clean, and really durable. I suggest buying one, and then consider buying more. They're one of my most useful things. :)

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  9. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    If you want to see a real messy duck you should have a couple muskovy ducks yes they are cute but they are dirty.

10. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    If you want to see a real messy duck you should get some muscovy ducks yes they are cute but they are dirty. I have eight of them with one sitting on a nest of 15 eggs so my yard is gonna look like a duck and duck poop infested yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by