Messy Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EAhearn05, Jul 25, 2011.

1. EAhearn05

EAhearn05 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Is there anything I can do to keep my ducks from spilling so much food everywhere? When they eat they seem to dump half of the food from their mouth to the ground. I don't like having so much wasted food. They were eating from a chicken feeder, then I tried feeding them from a shallow bucket to see if that would help, but there is really no improvement. Suggestions?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I grabbed some 4" deep 12"x15" plastic tubs that were going to be cast off from a delicatessen. I only put an inch of food in it at a time. Very little gets splashed out or wasted. It's got straight sides so no one can tip it over.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I actually got the goat trough for my ducks too. Unfortunately, it was still bad with waste. I now use a ~4" high cat litter pan filled to and inch or so. I also switched to pellets as crumbles where always EVERYWHERE. Very little waste and since my chickens eat the same thing, they clean up anything on the ground.

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I set the auto feeder into a kitten litter pan, so when they spill, they can eat out of the bottom too. Very little waste. I ended up going the same thing with the chickens, putting the feeder into a pan, because they would flick it out and waste it as soon as it hit the bedding.

6. EAhearn05

EAhearn05 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I switched from crumbles to pellets.
    If I could buy the flock raiser in pellet form, I'd go back to feeding that, but I can only find chicken layer pellets here.
    There is still some mess, but nothing like it was. I could almost say NO mess in comparison

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by