Messy little ducks..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kada6305, Mar 16, 2013.

1. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    I know Ducks make messes and poop... A LOT....But...on the wall?! lol i have my ducklings in a walmart plastic bin - the biggest one avail. and went to clean out the poo and wet bedding...well all four corners had poo stuck to it, must have shot out to stay like that lol. and they are only a week old...what does the future hold?

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    More of it, just on a bigger scale [​IMG]

3. theduckgirl4110

theduckgirl4110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    ducks aren't that messy if you keep that bin extremly all the time.I don't know where you live but if its nice out they can make their mess outside. Lol [​IMG]

4. jillscoop

jillscoop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    North East Texas
    Baby ducks & geese are very foul inside [​IMG].... i incubate them when its warm enough for the little guys to live outside.

5. theduckgirl4110

Mar 16, 2013
    I just ment if they were old enough so it would be easier on the owner(you)from the mess. they could also start if they are old enough to eat the grass and bugs .We have a fly and gnat problem in the summer so i just kill the flies and feed them to my ducks. lol

6. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    haha we have over a inch of snow out side right now...prob 2 or 3 inches. the ducks are only a week old.. I'm so ready for spring ! we were gong to take them outside today if it was going to be nice....

7. theduckgirl4110

Mar 16, 2013
    Haha.Oh well.Have fun inside with them until spring!

8. 7chicks

7chicks New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    Just got my first ducks on Friday. I'll be keeping them with the chickens when they get older. I'm merticulus with keeping the coop clean. Is this going to be a thing of the past with ducks? We have WAY too much snow to be able to move them outside for a long while yet. Will I need to feed them separate from my hens when I finally can move them out there? I have 2 Peking that are 4 weeks old now. To be honest, I am a little scared of what I have gotten myself into by getting ducks. Something that I did on a whim.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    7chicks, hang in there, it will be different, and most of us, I suspect, have done things on a whim. Just please, if you can, resolve not to make the ducklings bear the weight of the consequences. You can do it, we are here to offer ideas.

Water management is a big hurdle for many of us. How are you doing with that?

Have you read the stickies on duckling care?

Have you seen the setups of OldGuy43, 70%cocoa, or tweetysvoice?

10. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Therse still snow in some places? Wev'e been in 80 degree weather for the past week.....but then again there's only two seasons here, cool and hot.

Waterfowl are the messiest birds I ever have brooded. They will keep being messy, even as adults, but the brooder stage is probably the worst. What a lot of duck breeders do is they raise the ducklings on hardware cloth (or any kind of wire grid) and have a pan at the bottom below the wire. The ducks walk around on the wire and any poop or food or water that falls goes straight through and falls to the pan. So the only thing you need to do is take out the pan every so often and clean then put it back in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by