Messy poopy but (caution... photo included)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bluedawg, Aug 8, 2011.

1. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    What's up with the Messy Poopy But? I have this hen and her daughter who have the same issue though mom has it worse by far. I tried apple cider vinegar in their water and I thought it looked better after that but here we are again - this photo was taken today. The skin showing looks very red though you can not see it in the photo (When I go out there they think I am bringing treats so it's hard to get a photo pf the back end). A few weeks back I washed her all off and dusted with DE... I don't know what else to do. Anyone have any ideas? Except for her daughter the others all look fine.

[​IMG]

2. Pretty Birdie

Pretty Birdie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    My chickens had the same problem. I didn't find out the reason for it (it still happens at times), but I found that the best thing was filling a small plastic container with warm water up to the height of the chicken's back and putting the chicken in, holding them in for about 15 minutes. After that I could take an old rag and wipe them off. [​IMG] Gross, but it worked. The warm water bath also works for egg-binding. Hope this helps!

3. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Yes, I noticed while searching the forum for information that a lot of people have this problem and no one seams to be finding answers which is odd because usually I find all my answers here [​IMG] It's got to be caused by something right? She's a good layer and somehow the eggs are clean. I don't know. Anyone know A chicken vet? Can the local vet run a fecal sample just like from a dog or cat?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:After bathing and drying, trim their feathers and fluff around the rear end for a "clear shot" to the ground. My local vet checks fecal samples...he went up in price from $10 to $14.50 a sample. Grrrrrr. He checks for worm and cocci oocysts.

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    One of my local farmer friends will introduce grit. He says that'll clear a poopy butt every time. He said if the chicken is young, he'll use the fine stuff sold at pet stores for parakeets (even though parakeets should NOT have grit)

6. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    OOh, thanks. Havn't tried that yet!

7. LittleDarlings

LittleDarlings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    You really do learn something new everyday! [​IMG] (For me today, I'm on learning overload!!) Thanks for the info!! [​IMG]

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:Thank you, I'm going to have to try that. [​IMG]

9. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    Quote:YES! Our vet can take a sample of the poop that I bring him and tell me if there are parasites or other bacteria. Bene bac is a great bird probiotic sold at veterinarians. I bet some Benebac and some targeted medicine can cure your bird. Watch for maggots around her vent. Flies will lay maggot eggs in the poop on her butt. Then the maggots will bite her and you will be picking them off her with a tweezer. So deal with this now, before you have a bigger problem. Good luck!

10. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Oh my, Thank you! I will!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by