Messy Vents, Swollen Abdomens in 7 hens - All are Laying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by posey, Jan 26, 2010.

1. posey

posey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    I need some help here. We have seven hens in two different coops who have messy vents and bottoms.
    These hens are between the ages of 8 to 11 months old. Breeds, Buff Orp, Australorp, Rhode Island Red, Speckled Sussex, Brahma, Wyandotte.

Each of them has a distended abdomen, some the size of tennis balls, some baseballs, and 1 the size of a grapefruit.
    None of them are egg bound or internal layers - all are laying good hard shelled eggs nearly everyday. They don't have runny poo, more like a combination of loose and formed stools that are the normal color.

What we have tried and recent history:
    * Discovered a very small amount of red blood on coop bedding, know idea which chicken it was from
    * Discovered a silkie cockerel who was loosing weight and sickly
    * Vet recommened corid thinking we were dealing with adult cocci and asked us to treat all chickens in the coop with corid and sulmet - we did
    *I followed with probiotics for the recommended 3 days in their water

It was after this that I noticed the messy bottoms and vents. Then we had good reason to believe that all our chickens hens and roos were infested with round worms and that it was not cocci at all. Most had lost considerable weight.
    What we did:
    1. used Wazine in water per instructions on bottle

2. One week later administered to all orally a chicken dose of Fenbendazole for goats

3. Two weeks or so later we administered to all Ivermectin drop on, that was on December 24th, 09 - Also, bathed all chickens bottoms

I continued to feed them several times a week a wet mash of layer feed, carrot, hard boiled egg, mixed in food processor and topped with yogurt.

Some time in early January I discovered the distended abdomens and their butts were getting messy again.

We tried administering pennicillin by injection to those 7 hens for 3 days, no change.

We again gave probiotics and a follow up of mash with yogurt but no change in vents or bottoms staying 'clean'

We weighed each hen again a week ago and were pleased to see that all had gained weight. Still had a way to go but all were over 5 pounds now

All are laying eggs with hard shells nearly everyday.

We are stumped to know what this is and what to do next. I feel it is directly related to the worm treatment or the cocci treatment. The reason? Six of the hens are in one coop the other Sussex is in a completely differnt coop and the two groups never mix. The sussex hen is in with two other chickens, one more sussex and a mixed breed roo who are fine.
    The only common denominator for all the chickens is the cocci treatment and the worm treatment.

This week I started to add organic ACV to their drinking water again. I used to do this several months ago but stopped when adding probiotics to water or wazine, of course.

We just purchased some food grade DE and sprinkled it over the bedding in the coops and over the ground in the runs.

Today I noticed that my silkie roo has a messy bottom too and he received the same treatment as all of the others but is in a third coop with his mate a silkie hen, and they don't mix with the others.

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Thanks so much

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Do a search for cocci.

Get after it or you will lose them.

3. posey

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    Quote:We did treat aggressively for cocci in December and there has been no blood since.

We don't think they actually had cocci, instead a serious infestation of round worms that was causing the small amount of blood in one chicken.

Why do you think that we are still dealing with adult cocci?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow. maybe.

I'd treat them again (antibiotics and worm meds) and give them vitamins.

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Look up asciites, or "water belly".

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Wow, that's a lot of medicine! Did the vet advise you to give Corid and Sulmet together? And did he give you that worming protocol? What was it that led you to worms--did you see any? (sorry about all the questions!) What do the abdomens feel like--does it feel like liquid, or more hard? I would definitely get a necropsy done if you lose one.

7. posey

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    Quote:Yes, we were told by vet to dose for cocci with both. No the worming protocol came later and from another source.

We lost two and got necropsies done. Major round worms and nothing else. We were told that with such a heavy load of worms that it can cause the intestines to bleed alittle.

That is why we had to be so aggressive with the worming. It just makes me wonder if what I am dealing with now is some sort of thrush or yeast effects. Or did they get some waste in their cloaca and now have an e-coli problem?

Just so many questions and possibilities and all I want to do is get them through this and well again.

8. posey

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    Quote:Hi Chickenannie:
    I looked it up as you suggested. My girls do have the water balloon swelling.

My questions are:
    1. My breeds are not the fast growers like I read about.
    2. Why would 7 hens of differing breeds all get that condition at the same time and in different coops?
    3. What can be done to help them, if indeed it is ascites?

I also posted some of my other thoughts to another response.

Any thoughts?

9. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    If it is ascites, you can remove the fluid with a hypodermic needle--I would do a search for ascites here. Hopefully they did not get some kind of liver or kidney damage!

10. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I had a silver laced wyandotte hen with ascites this summer. The vet drained a pint of fluid from her and put her on milk thistle extract as the lab report on the fluid indicated a problem with her liver. She has recovered completely and shows no ill effects and is back laying normally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by