Metacam for hens

Missmarley

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2015
Hi

Does anyone know which metacam a vet prescribes for hens? The one for dogs or the one for cats? Also possible dosage? I
I am not sure which one to use for them or the dosage per kg.

I know usual forum rules are that you can't give out that sort of advice, but if someone could even hint towards it at the very least it would be much appreciated. This is the last chance for this old girl.

Much appreciated

Thank you so much for replying! I have "Meloxidyl 1.5mg/ml" it says for dogs and I have Metacam 0.5mg/ml for cats.

I think I'll go with the 0.5mg one for cats. I'm not sure if it's different between dogs and cats ingredients wise or if it's just the mg ratio!

Thank you so much for replying! I have "Meloxidyl 1.5mg/ml" it says for dogs and I have Metacam 0.5mg/ml for cats.

I think I'll go with the 0.5mg one for cats. I'm not sure if it's different between dogs and cats ingredients wise or if it's just the mg ratio!
They're the same medication, one just has 3x the medicine per ml. Probably safer to use the one for cats.
big_smile.png

http://www.drugs.com/vet/metacam-oral-suspension.html

-Kathy

Edited to fix typo!

Last edited:
That's super. I have baytril oral solution here too but I want to hold off on it as I know in other animals it can be harsh on the stomach and it's more important I keep her hydrated and no more diarrhoea. I don't hold out much hope though, her toes are curled but she does have feeling in her legs. She's not my hen, I've only known her few weeks but I don't think she's been getting anything besides hard pellets. I have my fingers crossed for her though, she tried to stand up today and she doesn't have diarrhoea since I separated her and fed her salads and added multivitamin to her food.

No I don't think she's been wormed. I have some panacur paste here but it says panacur for rabbits? not sure it that would do her. She is eating and drinking superb at the moment. I haven't tube fed before no, but could probably try - I don't really have the equipment though and want to avoid the trauma to her if she is just really old! I don't hear any breathing problems but again not familiar with chickens at all.

She is a very old hen, from what her owner told me. Her comb is floppy too. None of the other hens are sick. She had a yellowy diarrhoea just once before but now it's normal since the salads and pellets with dusted mineral powder - it says it has multivitamins in it but b vitamins in it too which I was particularly looking for.

Back
Top Bottom