Metal building for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by patsy334, Jul 15, 2017.

1. patsy334

patsy334 In the Brooder

Jul 4, 2017
    I have an 8X10 sturdy metal storage bldg that I will use for chicken coop. I will have area on on both sides (about 10X8) for runs. All will be predator secure. My nesting area will be at back wall. Roosts toward front. My question has to do with protection against too much heat. I plan to insulate it. This week it has been in high 90's. Since framing of building is 2X4's, it will be easy to cut out panels and put wire in place. MY QUESTIONS IS: How much to I need to cut out? I plan to put vients at top of each end and replace the small window with wire. Is it better to have more "open" area or less? Thank you!

2. More is better
    Twice as much as you think u need!

NorthTexasWink likes this.
  3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    You definitely want to have as much ventilation as you can with metal, which tends to build up condensation much more than wood.

4. patsy334

patsy334 In the Brooder

Jul 4, 2017
    Thank you both for your ideas. It will be easy to cut through the metal. It has a strong frame work which will help. I am getting addicted to this website. Learning so much.

5. NorthTexasWink

NorthTexasWink Songster

Jun 11, 2017
    Arlington, Texas
    @patsy334 Save the metal you cut out! You can frame that up, glue some rigid insulation to it (or add any insulation however works for you), and use it in the winter or on days with blowing precipitation. Just add some hook and eye or other closures to secure it. I'm sure you get the idea. Waste not, want not!

Leighe likes this.
  6. Leighe

Leighe Songster

May 17, 2015
    Denton, TX
    Wow....EXACTLY what I was going to say! They really need airflow in the summer so more is better.

7. NorthTexasWink

NorthTexasWink Songster

Jun 11, 2017
    Arlington, Texas
    Leighe likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: