metal cooler for incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FrenchHen, Mar 3, 2009.

1. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    We have one, and K-mart charges $12 for a Styrofoam box.
    Has anyone used an old metal Coleman cooler? How did you cut the window in top? A metal drill bit then a saw for the box part?
    Is there something icky insulating the thing?

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Playing with a metal one now. In mine the insulation is an old foam. I didn't put windows in for the first try to see how temps hold and go as the sucker is. Windows are for the next set.

I have in accurite that has a remote so temp I always know and I peek twice a day briefly to see humidity.

I'm just fiddling along with some of our own eggs and not using paid for, precious eggs.

I may yet splurge for a unit that does remote humidity too but not while I'm on the cheap.

I still have a lot of fine tuning to do with this one but so far so interesting.

I Gerry-rigged a tray for the eggs and won't build a turner til after I see how it runs this time.

These are severely cold weather eggs so I figure that it's moot but it's a way to see how the whole thing shakes out.

Fiddling along with it, to see, is part of the fun at this point.

3. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Let me know how it works! What day are you on?

4. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Just day two on it's first run. I ran it for about a week before I set the eggs just to see what worked. I used a lot of spare stuff just to give this a whirl. Next time it'll all be properly arranged and finish mounted but hell if it won't run then I have to rework it. So this first time it's a pretty sad ugly thing.

I was having a lot of trouble because of the house temp swings when I had it on the floor, now it's up on the desk and that's better.

Not sure metal is a good bet even insulated but I'm willing to play along to find out.

5. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Free is free though...you're not hurting anything to try.

6. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I used up a lot of spare bits to make it and the eggs are free so yeah, it sure is easier on the worry circuit.

Since I'm using flexwatt heat tape instead of a light bulb, it's a whole new system for me, and I had to get light in there some how, so my fan I did actually buy has four LED lights on it. I know have a disco bator. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by