Metal Feeder Frustrations!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mrshollywood, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Mrshollywood

Mrshollywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I think that I have had it with the new metal feeders for my chickens!

I have done battle with 2 different feeders and have lost both times [​IMG] I think my chickens are PIGS, they keep breaking them! They are bent, lost metal rods, broken brackets etc.... I have tried hanging it, didnt work.... I have tried putting in the house, didn't work... I have tried putting it outside, didn't work....

I would prefer to not go with a plastic....

My questions are:

Are the antique/vintage metal feeders made of stronger metal than the new ones now?
    Do wood feeders work well?
    Is there a certain height they should be at to avoid all this that I"m just missing?

Are my chickens just "animals" when they are eating LOL!!!!

2. buffs only

buffs only Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Conyers Georgia
    I have a 30 pound metal feeder that I have been using for 31 buff orps and its been great, how can your chickens be tearing up a metal feeder?

Buffs Only

3. I have the (probably the same) metal new style feeder as well. The one that is adjustable to three heights? they scatter the stuff everywhere!!!!!!!! i have the medium size one for 12 birds. the darn metal adjuster springs keep breaking, the top flops around, etc. GRRRRR... I wont use the plastic ones either. I went to plain old metal bowls and mounted them on the wall at their breast height. gee, that works great. they just PERCH on them now.....

4. Mrshollywood

Aug 10, 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Quote:I don't know! I will take pics when I get home today, I'm sure it will be hanging there with the bottom hanging off again!
    If I keep buying them I will have enough pieces to make a whole new one someday!

5. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    We install lock washers inside the adjusters on the metal feeders. That helps a lot.

Keeping the sheep away helps, too, they trash those feeders. But that's a separate issue.

For all teh chickens we have, we need large feeders, the plastic ones break adn crack too easily, so we still use those.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here's my set up ! One wood feeder nailed to the side of the coop & one metal feeder hanging. Works great!!![​IMG]

7. Mrshollywood

Aug 10, 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Quote:Thank you for the idea/picture.

That is the feeder I have now and mine isn't all nice like that one the bottom tray is bent and food falls out of it [​IMG]
    Did you buy or make the wood feeder? Do you find that works better and has less waste?

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I use a pan and a feeder and they cant get in there to break it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
  10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Thank you for the idea/picture.

That is the feeder I have now and mine isn't all nice like that one the bottom tray is bent and food falls out of it [​IMG]
    Did you buy or make the wood feeder? Do you find that works better and has less waste?

I like them both are you positioning your feeders away from their roost so they can't jump on them when coming off the roost in the AM. Mine merely eat out of them & thats it. I like having two feeders & two sources for water just in case something goes haywire. JMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by