metal feeders

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by garynancy, Dec 16, 2016.

1. garynancy

garynancy New Egg

Dec 16, 2016
    Had a very cold night here in Massachusetts and noticed something on our metal feeder. Bits of red all over it? I think the chickens combs are freezing to it like sticking your tongue to a metal pole in winter. Replaced with a plastic one hopefully this will help. Has this ever happened to anyone? thanks

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    That sounds terrible. I've never heard of that before. I've always used plastic feeders and a heated metal or glass waterer during winter.

3. garynancy

garynancy New Egg

Dec 16, 2016
    Yes we heat the water but just never gave it a second thought about the feeder. hope this will help others from making the same mistake

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I guess it's possible...combs or wattles would have to be pretty wet to begin with for that to happen, which is another concern.....but I suspect that maybe someone got a cut on their comb and flung blood all over. Even tiny cut on comb can bleed quite a bit, usually heals up real fast but meanwhile blood spatter can look like murder scene.

ETA:Where were spots on feeder, down on rim of trough or up on canister part?
    If they had in fact got stuck to metal surface there will be evidence....do birds have scabs on combs and/or wattles?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Putting Vaseline around the rim of the metal feeder helps.....

Cheers!

6. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    I agree with aart, as I've been experiencing this lately (bloody streaks on feeders and waterers). Upon investigating I noticed my BJG has had some damage to her comb (most likely from my bossy BO who like to take turns picking on everyone).

7. Bananabread

Bananabread Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    Bay Area
    another reason to maybe switch over to PVC based feeders

8. Bananabread

Bananabread Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    Bay Area
    another reason to maybe switch over to PVC based feeders

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by