Metal frame

Mbrant

Hatching
May 26, 2022
I have a medal framed chicken coop and run. I’m wanting to add bead board or something similar so the frame isn’t showing on the inside. You know make it look pretty 😂 I attached a picture from when it was under construction. My question is how would I go about adding thin wood to a metal frame? Or is it even possible?

Attachments

• 018F5F6F-58B4-4533-8031-A7C02EC8A1A2.png
    018F5F6F-58B4-4533-8031-A7C02EC8A1A2.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 0397BAE9-9A69-4C3F-9439-3B01E29D0EC1.png
    0397BAE9-9A69-4C3F-9439-3B01E29D0EC1.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 12
If that's square or rectangular tube stock, most likely you are predrilling pilot holes with a titanium bit, then setting "self drilling" machine screws.

I know you said you are doing it for aesthetics, but I recommend instead you do something that allows you to attach predator protection - cause I doubt you plan to try and tack weld hardware cloth!
1655984538605.png

Also, the shed you are converting will need a lot more ventilation.

I have a medal framed chicken coop and run. I’m wanting to add bead board or something similar so the frame isn’t showing on the inside. You know make it look pretty 😂 I attached a picture from when it was under construction. My question is how would I go about adding thin wood to a metal frame? Or is it even possible?
It's possible, but is it really necessary.....
...and could it be detrimental(pests between wood and metal walls?
I'd first concentrate on getting some windows and vents in the coop,
and maybe a roof on the run.
Current pics of the setup might help here.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Mbrant
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1655988306388.png

Is that angle iron or square tube? I would minimize how many holes get put into the metal and install purlins first with just a few anchors, then mount the bead board to that. Seal off the edges with wood trim so no rodents or whatnot can get into that space. I agree this coop structure needs more stuff like ventilation, closing the gap to the ground, hardware cloth, etc before the aesthetic upgrades

Last edited:
It does not need to look pretty on the inside. If you want to make it pretty, paint it nicely and add attractive awnings to the vents you need to cut into the coop. :)

Installing beadboard would be an open invitation to every kind of rodent to come make nests in your walls. Also, beadboard is NOT rot resistant and would very soon be destroyed.

Spend the money adding ventilation and putting a roof on the run. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Back
Top Bottom