metal lining inside coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kirbyr76, Apr 8, 2012.

1. kirbyr76

kirbyr76 New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    I've decided I want to build a coop rather than buy a premade one. I'm a metal fabricator by trade and am wondering if lining the inside with light gauge stainless steel would harm anything? I figured this would make cleaning much easier. The coop will be underneath trees for shade. I also will be able to ventilate with a fan.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

2. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Not sure where you're located, but with a metal interior, I'd be concerned about heat, even in shade.

Also, chickens LOVE LOVE LOVE to peck at anything shiny. I think you'd find your chicks pecking the walls!

Our walls are plywood and as long as you plan your roosts far enough from the walls, the walls really don't get 'dirty' from poop. I find the dust accumulates more on the plywood than any dirt or poop. I simply brush the walls every time I change out the litter (not using deep litter method) with a broom and it keeps the cobwebs and dust down for me. Chickens couldn't care less....

3. kirbyr76

kirbyr76 New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    Forgot to mention I'm in central Indiana. It generally is in the high 80's during summer and can get into the high 90's many days in the summer. The heat was the part worrying me

4. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I wouldn't want metal lining a chicken coop or barn. In addition to the concerns already raised, coops should be able to breathe, and metal is not permeable. Even with vents, I'm concerned that metal will collect moisture condensation -- in the summer, from natural humidity in the air, and in the winter, from the water vapor in the chickens' breath. So you'll get drippy walls in the hot weather and ice-crusted ones in the cold weather. And the drippy walls will trickle to the floor and encourage mold and other unpleasant things to flourish.

5. kirbyr76

kirbyr76 New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    thanks for the advice

6. mommabice

mommabice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    I have also heard that chicken poop can be corrosive to metal? Not sure if that is 100% true...

7. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    is there a coating that could be put on the walls to help with all that? Maybe paint it with something to keep discourage moisture or pecking?

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Nothing wrong with metal as long as ventilation is well done.

Heres mine... (old picture)

[​IMG]

All metal but the floor that is wood with a plate of metal over it.
    [​IMG]

Once ventilated its actually cooler inside than out in the sun an its real cool under it which is part of the run.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  9. kirbyr76

kirbyr76 New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    That is pretty cool. My plan wasn't 100% metal on the inside. Only about half way up the walls on the three sides besides the entrance and the floor. Reasoning was so it would be easier to clean, and I hoped ventilating it really well would alleviate any extra heat trapped inside by the lining. If the poop damaged the metal I can easily replace it but I doubt that it would harm it.

10. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    This is what we are usin. im havin trouble decidin how to put windows in it. How can you frame it up on the tin? Should I build a wood frame like a normal shed would have and attach the window framin to that? (Does that make sense?)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by