Metal nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Reedo5, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Reedo5

Reedo5 Chirping

Aug 19, 2017
    Finger lakes region, NY
    Looking for info and thoughts on metal nesting boxes I have seen a few and am thinking of going this route like quality brands for fair price it all helps! Thank you!

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. kerbotx

kerbotx Songster

Aug 29, 2016
    Northeast Texas
    I bought a 6-hole nest box from Amazon late last year, and I love it!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Y9S1LW/?tag=backy-20
    I paid about 137 for it at the time; I was watching the price on Amazon with a browser extension called 'camelcamelcamel' and grabbed it when the price dropped to that. It shipped flat, assembly was easy. I use plastic nest pads in the bottom, with pine shavings for nesting material. I eventually added nest box curtains that hang by magnets. Def a great purchase for me & my flock! :thumbsup

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    I have a ‘double’ and it’s easy to keep clean, good size, popular with my chickens. It has a small perch attached and bottom can be lifted out for cleaning. I use nesting pads inside

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Where are you located?

I think the problem with metal would be if it gets super hot or cold where you are.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Alaskan. As soon as I read "metal," I thought the same thing. Besides it can have sharp edges - not good.

6. kerbotx

kerbotx Songster

Aug 29, 2016
    Northeast Texas
    It's specifically manufactured to not have sharp edges; all edges facing the birds are "rolled edges". You don't even need gloves to put it together... Metal nest boxes are also the industry standard for larger cage-free operations. The backs of each nest are open for ventilation, and there are vent holes on each side, and between each nest. As long as it isn't in direct sunlight, which no nest should be, it won't get any hotter than any other nest box. You'd know this if you actually had experience with one. As I am in Texas, I do add a small fan in the summer, to make the girls more comfortable.

7. Henry&Friends

Henry&Friends Songster

May 6, 2018
    I get the appeal, but some birds will lay where they choose. Before investing, you should see if they’ll lay in something cheaper— mine like buckets and cardboard boxes more than anything.

8. Reedo5

Reedo5 Chirping

Aug 19, 2017
    Finger lakes region, NY
    Thank you! Could you put up a pic of yours with the curtains please an thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: