Metal or Plastic Feeder/Water What do you recommend?

RW19290

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Southern California
I am getting a new feeder for my 6 week old chicks. I am wondering if i should get a metal or plastic one. If i get metal, will the water inside carry a metallic taste? Or would the plastic be not as durable? What brand do you recommend?

Thanks,

~RWu19290~

well both have there pros and cons.... they really depend on what type your getting some leak especially some plastic ones. The metal ones can also leak but they also might loose a seal and could possible rust. My favorite type is the one gallon, plastic, screw-on base

I perfer the metal ones I hang. I had plastic and all eventually developed leaks. I have had my metal ones, (one waterer and one feeder) for over a year no leaks, no rust. They are galvanized. I'm getting another galvanized feeder and waterer for my run which is covered when I put my new birds in with my existing flock. I do have a plastic waterer in my brooder and a galvanized trough feeder for my chicks. I bought mine at my local feed store but Tractor Supply also carries the same ones. I tie wrapped a D-ring to the handle on the waterer to keep it from tipping. I have them hanging on chains with an S-hook so while my birds grew I could raise them, the feeder especially for less wasted feed. I use crumbles. I keep it to just above their back.The feeder has an indent in the center of the handle so it doesn't tip.
jumpy.gif
love.gif
caf.gif

Last edited:
chickens007.jpg

I like plastic the best.Washes out good,Can clean with bleach,and can use Apple Cider Vinegar in.I've had some plastic ones 7+ years.

All waters should be hung unless on a fount heater. Will

The metal feeder and waterer I use in the chicken run are over 20 years old now. I dare say a plastic type wouldn't last that long.

My chick feeder is metal, and the waterer is plastic they both screw on a canning jar. The only thing I don't like about the waterer is it syphons whatever dirt or straw gets in the resevoir up into the canning jar. I have to change the water several times a day.

I prefer plastic for both feeder and waterer. I don't really have a reason. It's probably a generational thing, I'm only 19 and am used to everything being plastic...

Quote:
My plastic waterers didn't look like yours. I like it and would consider trying plastic again if I could get one like yours. Where did you get it?

Back
Top Bottom