Metal or Wooden Nesting Boxes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SouthernBYChickens, Dec 17, 2011.

1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Just curious - are there pros and/or cons to using metal nesting boxes vs. wooden nesting boxes? Thanks!!

2. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

The colder it is you should use wood, metal can get way cold

3. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:Sorry - just realized I probably should have posted this in the "egg laying or hatching" thread. [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Sorry - just realized I probably should have posted this in the "egg laying or hatching" thread. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like wood.

5. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our nest boxes are wood but we have plastic dishpans in there that they actually lay in.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I do have a couple of Rubbermaid totes with holes cut in one end that I use as nest boxes in one of my coops that doesn't have nest boxes built into it. I have also used milk crates.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  7. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I have both metal and wood , but my chickens like to lay on the dirt floor of the henhouse .

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    If it's cold, I'd recommend wood, but seeing as we have a coop that's pretty much just an iron shell, we have little arch-like structures that we prop up and they'll lay underneath those on the dirt ground. I think I prefer it that way so I don't have to clean out the bedding all the time. [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If it's hot, I'd recommend wood.

In Phoenix, metal would end up being like an oven and cook the eggs before you gathered them.

10. MERCERS

MERCERS Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    La Canada
    I'd recommend wood no matter the climate, since it's such a bad conductor of heat. When it's hot, wood is cooler. When it's cold, wood is warmer. Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by