metal poles or wooden poles to support coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by all systems go, May 12, 2009.

1. all systems go

all systems go New Egg

Apr 14, 2009
    We are new to chickens and trying to get a good idea of how to build the coop. My husband thinks that metal poles to support the coop would be better because they won't rot. Any opinions?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Remember with metal poles you would have to deal with a mechanism for attaching the coop to the metal posts. If they are just piers that a normal wooden coop is set on, it might not be too bad (although I don't see any advantage over concrete piers, unless you happen to already have suitable metal piping available) -- but if you mean pole-barn type construction, where everything attaches to the posts, it would get pretty difficult. Not impossible but I don't see that it'd be worthwhile.

JMO, have fun,

Pat

3. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Being so close to the ocean I went down the street to a marina and asked them for the cut off peices of the poles they use for Pilons, I think it's called Heart wood, They were happy to get rid of it since it was to short for what they need.It was perfect for coop supports also easy to attach to and won't rot.

4. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    I would use wood landscape timbers. They are cheap ($2 - $3 each) and will last longer than than I will. But I have been known to use whatever I have avail;able, because I'm real cheap!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by