Metal Roof and heat

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nancy1zak, May 21, 2010.

1. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We have a metal roof...when I was out cleaning the coop today...it is in the 80's today...and Wow...the metal roof on the inside was really giving a lot of heat off. Anyone have any idea how to insulate to keep the heat out?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sure, just insulate the underside, ideally with rigid foamboard. Either glue it directly to the metal (make sure you get a glue that is ok for use on foamboard, some glues will dissolve it) or sandwich it between the metal roofing and a THIN piece of plywood or suchlike that you screw to the purlins/nailers/strapping/whateveryacallit up there.

That said, if it's that hot in your coop now, it isn't just because you have a metal roof -- you really need to think about how you can open up more area ventilation-wise. Just a coupla leetle prebuilt vents and a window or two are not necessarily enough.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Beside the heat that you pointed out, many have issues with moisture collecting on uninsulated metal roofs in winter time, not a good thing...

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    The difference between your head height and those of your birds can be several feet or more.

Before bothering with insulation how hot is it getting at chicken height?

5. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Probably not as hot as when my head was near the roof. We have one of the Amish 4 x 6 coops on runners. It has two windows and a large 5 foot long x maybe 18" vent running around the back across from the wall with the windows. I will try the foam board. Sounds like we will need that in the winter too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by