Metal Roof Panels Question

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
I have a coop I a building that will have a shed style roof. My plan is to use metal panels with the ribs running high to low(so rain and snow will run/slide off easily.
My question is... on the high side will rain drip under and run down the inside of the roof?
Thanks,
Steve

I did a horse shelter like that, and at the peak I bent panels and lapped them over the gap at the top and screwed them down extra sturdy and that thing was great!

Ribs running down the slope is indeed the correct and only useful way to install them. (Otherwise the roof leaks and is not as strong).

If you are concerned about dripping back under the high edge -- although IME this is minimal unless you have a very high roof pitch or get large or icy snow accumulations -- then cap the edge. You can use regular ridge cap bent further so the free part is perpendicular to the ground, but if it were me I'd just use a simple L flashing.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I don't know what the proper name is, but I use a specially designed flange that make the water 'drip' and not 'run' -- surface tension is very interesting to me -- over coming gravity blows my mind
smile.png

I get the flange from Home Depot - near the rest of the roofing supplies. My roofs are all asphalt shingles over felt, and not metal, but I'd think a similar thing would work.

Dave

I was just checking out some install instructions and noted that it differs from the corrugated poly panels. With those you need to screw into the top of the rib rather than between ribs. With the metal roofing it appears I will need to screw in next to the main ribs as opposed to the top of each rib (like the poly panels)... Any tips from anyone with metal roofing panels install experience?

I ALWAY screw or nail through the top of the V or the point. the water won't stay there long enough to go through. I've been building on and off for 25 years and that is he only way I've seen it done. John

This is my coop and run all done with recycled metal roofing (Free) It seems to love to rain this year in NH. Its been poured on at least 5 times (rain Barrel over half full) since I put it up and no signs of leaking or water running inside from the high wall side. 10x10 with 4 and 6' walls. Strapping 12" apart and some closer to match used holes in metal roofing.

89258_img_6852a.jpg

89258_img_6851a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom