Metal roof pitch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kirghizstan, Nov 17, 2014.

1. kirghizstan

kirghizstan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2014
    Mass, USA
    I'm building a coop similar to this in design. I'm putting a metal panel roof on it, but what would you recommend in for a minimum slope?

I have some reclaimed wood with is 7.5 feet long and a true 2" x 5.75" I think for a cold weather climate even if i pitched it from 5.75 to 0 and cut the wood to 7' so the metal panel extended 6" on each side it still won't be enough pitch. do you agree or disagree?

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Uh.....there's no picture of this "siimilar to this in design" you talk about. The pitch on my run isn't all that steep, and while I do live in snow country if we get hit with what I fondly call "a dump" of snow I just use my roof raker and pull it off.

[​IMG]

3. kirghizstan

Sep 19, 2014
    Mass, USA
    There was a link on the THIS, but here is a pic

[​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I love that coop design, and also use only metal roofs. I'm not engineer enough to figure what pitch that would give you, but it doesn't sound like a lot. The pitch in your picture is less than I would use, even where I live, because metal rehapes a little and puddles wuld eventually form on it. In snow country, for the snow to slide off, of course, you would need more pitch.

The opening at the high end is a perfect ventilation point for this design. With overhang and facing the right direction, you may not need to cover it with anything but wire cloth.

Would the people where you buy your roofing perhaps be able to help you figure this? There are lots of online resources for "roof pitch," as well. And no doubt, someone else here can be more helpful than I can.

Good luck!

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Oops! Need more coffee! [​IMG] Looking at that picture and with the snows I'm sure you'll be getting, that pitch isn't near steep enough.

6. kirghizstan

Sep 19, 2014
    Mass, USA
    I'm using recycled metal roof panels from an old barn so there is no one to ask.

7. Eagleeyeice

Eagleeyeice Chillin' With My Peeps

With the roof fastened down securely in my opinion that is plenty of pitch.
    And if you get a lot of snow, just rake it off, which you would probably do anyways.
    Water/rain goes downhill anyways, it's the gravity thing.
    You can make this a complicated as you want, but you have the lumber already, so i say go and build it.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Doesn't take much pitch to shed rain water, but watch where the water will land coming off the roof so it drains away from coop and run.
    Snow load is a whole other matter, make sure you support the metal roofing very well, or plan on keeping it raked off.

I had a shed roof collapse last winter because I didn't keep it cleared, we got 13' feet of snow and one last wet snow did it in....I have a roof rake this year.

9. kirghizstan

Sep 19, 2014
    Mass, USA
    i guess you are right, worst case scenario is i just take it off and put on a larger pitch. I'm keeping the roof isolated from the actual coop so temporary removal won't leave the chickens exposed.

10. kirghizstan

Sep 19, 2014
    Mass, USA
    what is the pitch on the gardencoop coops?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by