Metal Roof?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Howard E, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Question for those of you who use an un-insulated metal roof over your coop.

Do you HAVE or NOT HAVE moisture condensation inside your coop?

Every un-insulated metal roof I've seen, including the one on my horse barn, causes moisture to condense and drip INSIDE the building.

2. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    I have some, but I've only had enough that it drips once. We'll see what the winter brings, but I think I have enough ventilation to limit it.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Interesting question...stating location(climate) and amount of ventilation would help clarify data gathered in this post.

4. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Our coops have had corrugated galvanized sheet metal roofs exclusively since we started keeping chickens 3 years ago. We are in SW Louisiana where a typical morning is 95% humidity or more. 60% or more during the rest of the day. I have never seen any condensation inside the coops, BUT my coops only have 3 closed in walls. Because of our excessive heat, there is no wall between the coop and run area. My current coop is 16'x16'. So there is a huge 16' hole and 6 1'x4' windows in the coop area for air circulation. The temp in the coop is never more than ambient air temp outside.
    For comparison, my wood shop is 15'x25' and I can't leave projects on my work bench undercoverd overnight because it looks like it has rained inside some mornings. It has no ventilation at all.
    Helpful?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Great details!
    I thought the condensation wouldn't happen unless it got pretty cold outside.....and I don't imagine it ever gets very cold in La [or I'm just a silly Yankee ;-)]

6. Dmontgomery

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Your idea of a pleasant spring day is almost unbearable to us. We have 2-3 days per year when it gets down to freezing for a couple hours. Back in 2006 we had ice on the ground for 48 hours straight. It is still referred to as "The Great Ice Storm". If it gets to 40 I have to wear quilted Carhart overalls with sweat pants underneath and a parka with a knit cap on my head.
    The condensation does happen more frequently on cooler days, but our humidity is so high everything is wet in the morning, inside and out.

7. Dmontgomery

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    BTW, I think we are kinda yankees now too. I never lived more than 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico my whole life until we retired 4 years ago. We moved north and now we are 50 miles from the gulf.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by